Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
vkg,

You wrote, You would still be eligible for 18 months of Cobra whether or not you leave willingly.

Put another way, I am ONLY eligible for COBRA for 18 months... I'll need a good deal more coverage than that.

And yes, I was already planning to take COBRA. I assume you made your comment was to suggest I could go ahead and retire now. My current plan was to take COBRA for about 15 months and then during the open enrollment period switch to a Washington Health Exchange plan at the beginning of the year. Retiring now would have me starting as early as January 2019 - more than a decade away from Medicaid eligibility.

aj485 also has the option of retiree health benefits through her former employer, but they are already pretty expensive at just about $1,000/month per person. I would be eligible for that, as long as we switch to it before she dies. If she dies after we start on it, I could continue to claim for up to 36 months under COBRA. But if she were to die earlier, I might be stuck for years with whatever is available through the Washington Health Exchange ... assuming the Exchange survives the Republican agenda that long.

And should the Republicans manage to kill ACA and should our Exchange more or less go away, I'm kind of stuck. I've tried getting an individual health insurance policy before. No carrier would write an individual policy on me because I had "too many risk factors".

With all that said, I could probably bridge the gap by finding part-time work somewhere like at a grocery store. I could quit again once I was on Medicaid. Odds are I'd only have to do that for a few years at most.

But I'd rather just work my current job a little longer and not risk having to do any of that. Besides, if I work a little longer and things don't turn out worse-case, I'll have extra play money.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.