No. of Recommendations: 7
Volki:

I last conducted a poll on this subject almost exactly six months ago. The results of my poll were, as follows:

(1) The total number of community members responding to the poll = 649. Obviously, the actual number of members must be higher as not everyone would have seen or responded to the poll. However, I believe that the number is fairly accurate as my first poll (on both the MI and FW boards) captured almost 80% of the total respondents. The actual number -- without regard to the specific categories -- were: First Poll MI (335) FW (104); Second Poll MI (104) FW (47).

In other words, 498 (or almost 80%) of the 649 individuals who categorized themselves as regular readers responded to the first poll. Based on this response rate, I would imagine a third census poll would (assuming a similiar decline) have uncovered
approximately 45 - 50 more community members. So, my best guestimate would be that there are, at least, 700 regular members of this community.

(2) Lurkers (regular reviewers of our boards who do not post) comprised approximately 34.5% of the community. This figure was consistent regardless of whether the respondent answered the FW or MI poll. The exact breakdown was: 151 out of 439 on the MI poll; and 73 out of 210 on the FW poll). In total, 224 lurkers out
of the 649 respondents. I must confess to being surprised by this figure as I always assumed that the lurkers far outweighed the posters -- when just the opposite is true.

(3) Jeez, I was surprised that there were only 6 people completing the poll who stated that they were not board regulars. In other words, less than 1% of the people who came across the poll were not regulars.

(4) Regulars Posters make up approximately 18% of the community (occasional posters making up approximately 47.5% and lurkers the remaining 34.5%).

The full post (and thread) can be found at:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=12213233&sort=username

I'd be interesting to learn if my figures have changed much in the last six months. I'm thinking of doing the same poll at the end of February to get an annual update.

Ganymede
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.