Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Does anyone have any information or input concerning this hatchback, esp concerned with the turbodiesel engine

tbone
Print the post Back To Top
Does anyone have any information or input concerning this hatchback, esp concerned with the turbodiesel engine

=======================================================================

It sounds like a baby's rattle at idle and smokes like a cheap cigar. JMHO.

UncleLee

Have a '96 GL, gas engine though.

Genrally pretty good car considering insurance, rental companies, etc, class it in with low end junk boxes!

Auto transmssions, at least the four speed, is on the weak side and a little sluggish compared to some of the rentals I've had to compare to (one tranny swap, one body shop incident). Last time I was at the dealer's shop, he showed me a *bunch* of VW 4 speed auto trannies... all awaiting swap out for rebuilts. And this isn't exactly a major metro area either, so it's not like they service hundreds of VWs a day. From what I've heard, the stick is the way to go. Too bad my wife won't deal with one... :(
Well, I'm a big VW fan, especially the GTI. Great little car, and very versatile with the hatchback. I love my Passat with a passion, and quite frankly there's not a car under 30k that's as nice or nicer than a fully optioned VW.

There's also this, which is comparable in layout and price. It's brand-new this month, and looks a little pimpy, but damn! 180hp. Sadly it does not come in leather:

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/matrix/index.html

I'm totally sold on both VW and Toyota. I'm especially sold on the VW pickup truck concept, if they'd only put it into production...

Susan

Does the VW diesel suck that much? Wow. Apparently there's a world of difference between models, then. I've got the loaded sedan, so of course it's supposed to be nice, I guess.

Susan
Nice car, has a following so it sells at or near MSRP in most regions.
In a former life, I too, was a big VW fan. A succession of Beetles and even one of the first GTI's in 1979. Out here in the Rocky Mountains one needs lotsa torque (and/or gears) to get out of one's own way. The VR6 is a bit soft, but at least it revs. Too, if there's one thing that'll suck horsepower faster than an auto tranny, it's a 9000ft MSL mountain road. JMHO.

UncleLee
I'm an A3 owners as well (96 Jetta) and I'm singing harmony with the automatic nay-sayers and the rattle of the diesel. The manual transmission is -perfectly- geared for all of the engines VW produced.

The gasoline V6 couldn't sell itself to me over the mileage of the 4. The diesel wasn't practical for me; I have such a short commute I'd never have seen the mileage numbers it can produce. But I do remember driving the turbo diesel and remarking how docile yet responsive it was on the highway.

If I had a longer commute, I'd consider a diesel again but for now, the gas 4 yields me an average of 28-30mpg on only a 20 mile roundtrip workday.

What year turbo diesel are you considering? What kind of commute have you to accomplish?

- Sco
my commute is 130 miles/day, round trip. i drive a diesel 'Mack' big truck so the noise i am used to. the 50 mpg estimate surely interests me, quite a savings. i could handle the stick opposed to auto trans, however, would rather rest that left leg a bit - but - if the auto is a problem (and it appears to be, following these posts) - i'd just as soon not have that problem. i would buy a brand new 2002 if any.

tbone