Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We open our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site today. This is an IRS-sponsored program to provide free tax prep and e-filing to the poor and befuddled. We'll be there every Saturday from now to April 15. I really love doing it, and it's a nice way to pay something back.

What kind of voluteer activities do other Retired Fools participate in?

Phil
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2

I neglected to mention in my recent long-winded post that I'm on the selection committee of a Habitat for Humanity chapter.

DW works for Dress for Success, an organization that helps disadvantaged women get into the workforce. At their center she helps women put together outfits from donated clothing suitable for job interviews. She's also done some mentoring of individual women through this group and a lot of fundraising.

She just joined our burb's women's junior league or something like that and is raising money for charitable causes.

And she is treasurer for a professional women's group that supports other charitable causes.

And once a week she helps with hippotherapy. "Hippo" comes from the Greek for horse (think Hippodrome). Hippotherapy consists of putting someone with disability on a horse and leading them around (a certified therapist is there, with DW helping lead the horse). The things you have to do to stay on the horse improve balance and coordination in ways you can't duplicate with other kinds of exercise.

--fleg
I'm on the board of two non-profit local/national clubs..and the President of one, and the VP of another......

I've done some volunteering for the town through a volunteer helper program, but wasn't too inspired to continue beyond the first year....

I write a 30-50 page newsletter for my hobby group on the web that goes out to 400 or so.

that's about it.

t.
"free tax prep and e-filing to the poor and befuddled."

So then it's free to just about everyone, eh? or do you need to be poor AND befuddled both?

My main volunteer activity is handing out food at our local food pantry to the elderly, disabled and poor.

I'm also working on our local "Relay For Life" to benefit the American Cancer Society's work.

But my biggest charity begins at home helping save for my grandchildren's education and helping my older sister get through a bout with cancer.

-drip
No. of Recommendations: 1

I volunteer one afternoon a week at a hospital where I drive a golf cart and transport patients to and from their vehicles to the hospital or nearby professional buildings. After spending a career indoors it is nice to be outside for a change. I will admit cold and rain is a bummer at times.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)
No. of Recommendations: 2

I don't know if you can call this volunteering, but since it is not-for-profit, it is doing a lot of work without recompense, I guess you could call it such.

I have spent many years as commander of an American Legion post and am currently nearing the end of my second year as commander of a Disabled American Veterans chapter.

This occupies lots of my time with fund raising and attending veteran themed events, to include funerals for our fallen members.
http://grumpypix.multiply.com/photos/album/3/Online#37
--Grumpy is riding in back.

Regards,

Grumpy
And once a week she helps with hippotherapy. "Hippo" comes from the Greek for horse (think Hippodrome). Hippotherapy consists of putting someone with disability on a horse and leading them around (a certified therapist is there, with DW helping lead the horse). The things you have to do to stay on the horse improve balance and coordination in ways you can't duplicate with other kinds of exercise.

In 2007, I went to a seminar about the horse-human relationship. One of the speakers started one of the first horse therapy programs.
Unfortunately, I can't remember her name, and it's not on the website any more that I can find.
http://www.tapestryinstitute.org/thevoiceofthehorseproject.h...

It was very interesting.
Vickifool -- I tend to fantasize following the fleg plan and learning Spanish more often.
I volunteer at our hospital one afternoon a week...don't drive a golf cart (I do that three times a week when I play golf), but I work in the area where we wheel patients out when they are discharged. Our hospital is quite large so it's physically demanding and is also good exercise.

Carol
No. of Recommendations: 1
I teach computer classes to retirees; our group started with a "basic beginners" class, and over the years we've added to the list. We now have classes on Word, Excel, mp3 players, digital photography and online shopping. I recently completed a session on securing the computer and cleaning it up.

The classes are very well received, and we always have a long list of people waiting to get in.

Karon

I coordinate the volunteers for three high school level robotics competitions, and coach an elementary school level team:
http://www.usfirst.org/
I have a blast with FIRST. That might have something to do with the fact that I'm a geek, but it could simply be that it's loads of fun. Our guest speaker at our Championships last year was President Bush #41. We had Secret Service and all. Never argue with a man that has a microphone you can see and a gun you can't <g>. Seriously, if you are able, hit an event in your area. It's really a kid to watch all these kids. They're really great kids, and it's a load of fun.

I'm also a member of a hobby robotics group and we do a lot of stuff to help the kids:
http://botlanta.org/
We organize a lot of competitions for all ages, and we have a lot of educational events we attend.

Along with that, I manage a soccer team, and I'm also an officer at the club.
http://www.gsasoccer.com/
I coached for several years until my husband threatened me with divorce if I coached again.

Additionally, I volunteer for a Girl Scout Camp, coordinate a homeschool group, give some science classes, speak on robotics, and organize a lot of homeschool events. Right now, I'm trying to work with GS of NW GA to set up some robotics teams, etc. I've been trying to get a class together to teach the kids how to garden, then can & preserve food.
Kathleen
Glad to see another gardener spreading the word to others!
I do volunteer adult literacy (Laubach) one on one tutoring, some library volunteering, and grow some stuff each year for the closest food bank.
Glad to see another gardener spreading the word to others!
I do volunteer adult literacy (Laubach) one on one tutoring, some library volunteering, and grow some stuff each year for the closest food bank.

I have a blast in our garden. My kids have been in the garden for as long as they can remember. I can remember having them out there working in the garden when they could barely walk. We also have honeybees and we host classes on the bees to show the kids how it all works. I donate some of the food every year, but that's also a large portion of our food supply. I really enjoy working with the kids, and I've been trying to get into the Master Gardener program. Unfortunately, it fills up really fast in this area.
Kathleen
I serve as a Village Trustee and on the local library board. Tried to be a firefighter, but they've got this thing about "wimmen folk".