No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, I'm a first timer on this board. Any Kurt Vonnegut fans here? I think most people have probably read Slaughterhouse 5, but I really preferred Mother Night, or Cat's Cradle. Mother Night is my favorite of his books, but that may be because I read it before his others, and it was my introduction to his writing style. I think its characters are more interesting (or at least more real) than most of his other books. He doesn't use any of his time-bending tricks to tell the story, which may or may not be a plus for some readers (I kind of like the "unstuck in time" stuff too).
Print the post Back To Top
I've read a lot of his works, but a long time ago. Last one I read was "Galapagos" which I really liked. I liked his idea that our brains have gotten too big to serve any useful function.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi.

Not a huge fan of Vonnegut. I actually never did read Slaughterhouse 5 but I think I read Cat's Cradle. I really enjoyed "Welcome to the Monkey House" which was a selection of short stories, some of which have been made into cable tv (badly). I suspect I don't enjoy his longer stories because I read primarily to escape reality, not to examine it. He is an amazing writer. Just not one I'd read for fun.

ataxwitch
*escapist
I
Yikes, first time I posted by mistake, heh.

I've read all of Vonnegut, except "Timequake." His early stuff
is the best (Slaughterhouse, Cats Cradle, Rosewater, Monkeyhouse, Mother Night) with the exception of his first, Player Piano, which is a bit
denser than his later stuff. I thought his "Breakfast of the Champions"
phase was a little too precious. Visual puns and not much in the
way of character. He got it back though with a few of the later ones.
I've heard he has given up writing, is that true? I know he had a
bad accident where he caught on fire smoking. I thought he quit smoking.
Anyway. He lives a few blocks away from me, in Manhattan, and I've
always wanted to see if I could run into him. I met him when I was in
college, he came to speak.
I've read all of Vonnegut, except "Timequake."

I've read all of his books. Timequake is not really even a novel. He had an idea for a novel, tried to write it, and couldn't really fill it out. So he took what he had, and sort of filled in what he had planned to have happen . . . it's almost an essay about a failed attempt to write a novel. It's interesting to get some of his personality, but not really worth reading for the story. I guess that's what happens when you are a living legend, and publishers know people will buy anything with your name on it.
I have read Slaughterhouse 5, Breakfast of Champions and a few others (but can't remember the titles.

I quite like satire and sarcasm so Vonnegut's books are great. But I am not so keen on the sci-fi elements that he often brings into his books.

No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a love/hate relationship with Vonnegut. On one hand, I think I've read everything he's ever written, more than once in most cases. On the other hand, I find myself getting annoyed with him for the same quirkiness I like so much. It's like, "This is great. Get to the *&$& point!"

One thing is certain; the guy's books cannot be filmed. Slapstick is one of my favorite Vonnegut books. "Slapstick of Another Kind" is the sort of movie you pray will self destruct and take everyone even remotely connected to it down in the process. I heard there was a version of Breakfast of Champions out there but haven't bothered to find it.

Uhura :o)
I heard there was a version of Breakfast of Champions out there but haven't bothered to find it.

Yeah, we rented it, but it was unwatchable. I sat through the movie version of Mother Night too, and it was passable, but nowhere near what the book was.
I thought his "Breakfast of the Champions"
phase was a little too precious. Visual puns and not much in the
way of character. He got it back though with a few of the later ones.

Yeah...I'm a fan, but I definitely agree with that.

"Mother Night" is high on my list of all time favorites. "Cat's Cradle" is very good.

Have you read "Deadeye Dick". Haven't picked it up in years but I always remember the last couple lines...(paraphrased since I cann't find my copy right now) "You know what? We're still in the dark ages. The dark ages have not ended yet".
I liked Deadeye Dick and another one from that post-Breakfast era... Good stuff