Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
I wish there was no such thing as "membership" to a political party. I think that once a person makes that kind of committment, to be "on the team", it adds another of many filters to our conscience, used to make it easier to live and make decisions every day. It would be impossible to go through life, rethinking your position on everything, every day, every time you had to make a decision. This applies to both politicians and the people who vote for them.

So you add the "republican" filter, say, which makes it much easier to decide on a lot of important issues. But something is always lost when things go through a filter. Sure, society may benefit the most when people are free to pursue riches and power, but in reality people abuse their power to get more money, and abuse their money to get more power, and lax controls allow it to happen. And it's easy to say that abortion is wrong. But what is overlooked is that people make mistakes, mistakes that can be costly to family and society, devastating socially, and punishing to the unwanted child. Also overlooked is that given the choice between having an unwanted baby and having an illegal, dirty, clandestine abortion, many people will chose the latter. Yet these are issues that help to define what it is to be Republican. The saem Republicans who lament over the cost of maintaining the homeless and addicts, and rehabilitating criminals.

Or you add the "democrat" filter, say, which makes the gun control issue a trivial one. Of course Joe Gangsta shouldn't be able to buy an AK-47 at a gun show. In fact, why should ANYONE be able to buy an assault rifle? They're not used for hunting deer. What gets lost in the filter is this: The reason gun ownership is important is becuase when the government DOES turn fascist and the people realize something must be done, they have some reasonable firepower. It's not to protect our hunting and target shooting rights, it's to protect our right to REBEL against the government. Yet this is an issue that helps to definte what it is to be Democratic. The same Democrats who are so worried about Bush being a fascist.

I say that ANYONE who feels strongly attached to either party, is NOT thinking critically about the issues involved. An intelligent, rational, informed person can not, in good conscience, consider these issues as simple as "yes" or "no" problems, therefore should not be strongly affiliated with ANY party.

If people were forced NOT to belong to a particular party, I believe our entire system would change. If politicians had to win elections on their own, without the support of a legion of followers who have already cast their vote before the candidate is even nominated, we would have politicians with HONESTY and INTEGRITY, who didn't create party-promoting policies and really had the interests of the VOTERS in mind.

And to suggest that it is imperative to vote for one big party so the other big party won't win, is stupid. I don't mean that to be insulting, I mean it as a matter of fact. Things will NEVER change as long as this opinion remains popular. If you vote for one idiot because you don't want the other idiot, don't be surprised to find an idiot in office.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.