Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
VS,

That's a pretty picture of familial love, taking on the legal guardianship of your bipolar brother.

But bear with me, because you wrote something earlier which I replied to, and NONE of those ideas are showing up here in this lofty appeal to human altruism, kindness, and love.

Lets try some questions again, but THIS time I'll quote what you originally wrote in the hopes that I will finally be able to express my concerns to you.

You wrote:
What I neglected to say, and will now, is that under libertarian law, a guardian could be appointed (even self-appointed) to oversee the welfare of an adult "nonrational person" (for lack of a better term), just as a parent has legal guardianship over his child.

What is the mechanism for this? My brother is bipolar, 35 years old, obviously an adult, pretty smart, has a job, but has the possibility of once in a while losing it for about 2 weeks at a time. WHO appoints me guardian? A court? MUST my brother agree? What is the consequence to HIM if he does not agree? That is, what is his incentive to agree? What are my rights as guardian? You say to "help" him to remember to take his medication, but previously this thread has talked about bipolars often wanting to cut their medication down. Can I force him? What can I do to "help" him as a guardian which I could not do to "help" him as just his brother, or just a concerned citizen?

The guardian would be legally responsible for any crime committed by the person he oversaw. So for example, if your family member committed a crime, and he were found to be "nonrational" because he failed to take his medication, then his guardian would be *legally* responsible for that crime, having failed in his *legal* obligation to see that he took his medication.

THIS is what put me off being guardian. I might love my brother. I might have him live with me. I might make drs appointments for him, go the store and get his medication, put his medication out for him in ways to make it seem like the most natural and pleasant thing in the world. But why would I as a rational independent adult ACCEPT responsibility for his crimes? And WHO would assign that blame to me? I expect I would REFUSE legal guardianship under such a situation. I would be happy to keep an informal relationship with my brother to help him, but I would seem to be an idiot if I allowed someone (I still don't know whom) to formalize this relationship in such a way that I took on a liability without a corresponding asset of some sort.

R:
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.