Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
While REITs upping their dividend is not unusual news, VTR upping its dividend 36.4% to 79 cents/sh perhaps is. For one thing it is my second largest holding after Vanguard Health Care at $51,000 currently (and I have withdrawn $23,000 from this fund over the last two years).

The record date is 06-05 with the X-dividend date of 06-03 and a payment date of 06-30.

The stock is trading only 12+% above its 52-week low.

brucedoe
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 23
Brucedoe:

I'm sure you probably saw the information concerning Ventas' dividend increase in this weeks Barron's. I saw it as well and as a fellow shareholder, it took me somewhat by surprise when I saw the report. Unfortunately, I don't think that they were entirely accurate in their reporting. Here is VTR's record of dividends going back a few years:

Mar 4, 2015 0.579 Dividend
Jan 20, 2015 0.211 Dividend
Dec 18, 2014 0.79 Dividend
Sep 10, 2014 0.725 Dividend
Jun 4, 2014 0.725 Dividend
Mar 5, 2014 0.725 Dividend
Dec 12, 2013 0.725 Dividend
Sep 11, 2013 0.67 Dividend
Jun 3, 2013 0.67 Dividend
Mar 6, 2013 0.67 Dividend
Dec 13, 2012 0.62 Dividend
Sep 7, 2012 0.62 Dividend
Jun 6, 2012 0.62 Dividend
Mar 7, 2012 0.62 Dividend

I think that what Barron's did was to reflect the dividend increase in relation to the March 4th dividend which was .579, which would be a 36.4% increase. However, that is an inaccurate report, I believe. It doesn't reflect the partial dividend on January 20th due to VTR's acquisitions and the spinning off one of their holdings. The prevailing dividend has been .79 cents since last December, 2014.

When Ventas reported their most recent dividend of .79 cents their publicity release thus reported the dividend as being "in line with previous" which I believe is accurate. I believe Barrons report is what is inaccurate. 36.4% sure sounds good though.

Gracepeace
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hey Grace!

Thanx ! I believe Barrons report is what is inaccurate. 36.4% sure sounds good though.

Don't never trust no steenking media !

Rich (haywool) bad grammar intended
No. of Recommendations: 0
grace

I guess that is why the announcement did not help the stock price. Too goog to be true.

brucedoe
No. of Recommendations: 18
If you want a REAL dividend increase, look at what Extra Space (EXR) did last week: They bumped the dividend by 25.5%. The stock has done really well, as this is a very well-managed REIT and owns properties in the rapidly-growing self-storage sector. https://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=EXR+Interactive#{"comparisons":"VNQ","comparisonsColors":"#cc0000","comparisonsWidths":"1","comparisonsGhosting":"0","range":"2y","showPrePost":false}

The current yield is 3.37%. And the current payout ratio is still reasonable at 85% of AFFO - which has been growing at rates into the double-digits.

That said, EXR is hardly a cheap stock, trading at a substantial NAV premium that takes into account expected rapid future external growth as well as above-average internal growth. I own a ton of this one but am not buying more at the present time. Those who like this property type should consider CUBE, which is also very well-run and which is much cheaper on an NAV basis. The yield is smaller, at 2.7%, but its payout ratio is a lot lower than EXR's.

Ralph