Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was helping a friend with the taxes, and she has a nasty problem. She lived in NY state in 1997, and in late December moved to New Jersey. She was on maternity leave at the time. When she came back, she changed her address with Employer. By the time company processed that, it was late spring.

She only worked in NJ. But the company withheld both NY and NJ taxes, and more than that, the box for stage wages shows both NY and NJ amounts, and sum is 30% greater than the total income. I guess the company should correct W-2, right? What is the right way to handle this situation? If she can not resolve this very soon with the company, can she file NY state nonresident return with the NY wages of ZERO, even though her W-2 amount is 12K+?

I understand we don't deal here with state tax issues, but I need advice on how to make her company (AT&T) change her W-2 form.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.