Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
W-CDMA is not a 3G product. Heck, it's not even a 2G product.

WCDMA is standardized under IMT-2000 as IMT-DS; that means it's an official 3G standard. On the other hand, HDR is not.

I posted this on "THE N" board:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1190244001660001&sort=username

Specifically,

<<As for third generation systems, there are really five flavors, as defined by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) as part of the IMT-2000 standard:

- IMT-DS Direct Spread (formerly known as WCDMA)
- IMT-MC Multi Carrier (formerly known as cdma2000)
- IMT-TC Time-Code
- IMT-SC Single Carrier
- IMT-FT Frequency Time

The first two are based on CDMA, IMT-TC is a combination of CDMA and TDMA, IMT-SC is TDMA, and IMT-FT is a combination of TDMA and FDMA.>>

You can get all the standards specifications and working papers from ITU's website:

http://www.itu.int/imt/2_rad_devt/index.html

As for the optimists you mentioned who thought CDMA was going to push GSM out of the way in two or three years, those people didn't understand the what has and hasn't been decided. It was totally unrealistic to expect that.

I don't read Gilder much, but I remember him saying along those lines. Yes, I know, he doesn't work for "THE Q," and he doesn't give investment advice.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.