Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Forgive me if this has been addressed. I could not find the answer to my question through google or using the TMF search engine.

I am starting a new job in September. As part of my compensation, I received a large check this month (probably a third of my total salary this year) where 0 allowances were taken out. Because of this and because I will be moving and paying at least double my property taxes this year, I will have a LOT of itemized deductions (20% or more of my AGI) - more than I've ever had.

I went to the IRS website and did the withholding calculator and it said I needed to claim 23 allowances to get a minimal refund back.

My understanding from what I've read here before is that 13 allowances is the most one can claim without having it reported to the IRS. I wanted to claim 10 to be safely under that limit - knowing that I will still get a large refund back this year.

Will claiming 10 alert the government? I'm filing single, no dependents.

-b-
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.