No. of Recommendations: 9
Hey There all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have a phone interview for a PERMANENT (not a silly contract) JOB tomorrow afternoon at 4:30. I'm interviewing with a health-care IT consulting firm. I had actually all but given up on being interviewed by this company because I submitted my resume almost 3 weeks ago, but I got a call today to interview for an Application Developer position with this place.

I have a question for you guys. I am OK with being an application developer (programmer) in order to get my foot in the door with this company, because they are growing in the midst of a recession and doing quite well, and also because they are a leader in their field. However, I don't want to be an Application Developer forever--I would really like to get into a position where I can travel more than I would as an Application Developer and have more direct contact with clients. Their website shows a lot of jobs which fit this bill, and everything I've heard about this company is that they welcome lateral moves. I would like to inquire about some of the other positions I've seen advertised, but I don't want them to think I am disinterested in the position they are currently interviewing me for. Anyone have any ideas on how to handle this?

Thanks,
d
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, where are the priorities?

If the number one idea is for a more permanent position and you like this company and the position is Okay then I would settle for it for now and then try later for a lateral move.

If the onumber one idea is to find the perfect permanent job then are you willing to pass up this job offer? Then I would certainly ask about other positions-if they have openings-and what are your odds on making a lateral move. This presumes, IMHO, that you "get" the position, i.e. you are their best candidate. Again, YMMV, but I would hesitate to push this because they probably don't want to have to interview again right away for the same position if you do make a lateral move quickly once you got the foot in the door.

I don't know if this helps.

Mangard
If you are already aware that the company is open to lateral moves I wouldn't mention anything about your future plans to the company. If they are thinking of hiring someone who they want to be around for a while they may immediately take you out of the running if you hint that you will switch out of the department when something more attractive comes up.

The only time I would consider bringing something like this up is if they indicated that the position is being filled to fill an immediate need and you may be moved around at a later time.

Remember that you can always take your experience elsewhere later on if you are ready to make a move and the opportunity does not exist at your current company. It is unlikely that they can say much about what opportunities might exist for you elsewhere in the company years from now anyway.
I agree with the other posters, I'd accept the position that they are offered if just to "get your foot in the door" You can also move up to another job later on. If it was me, I'd accept the position if they offer it, and look to move on to the position you are more interested in later on! Good luck Diana with your interview!!:) Allison
From another Applications Developer to another -

You can hint around at it in the interview - ask a question regarding opportunities for advancement, and see if they mention lateral moves.

Otherwise, I agree with the majority - keep mum about it.

--mcolvil
I'm so glad you have an interview! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Ishtar
I think that you can work the conversation around to other opportunities subtly, without blurting out "I'M JUST TALKING TO YOU SO I CAN MOVE OVER TO JOB X ONCE YOU'VE HIRED ME!!!" A lot of employers actually might see that inquisitiveness as a good thing.

Also (and I hope this isn't the case), if the position goes to another candidate, when they call to tell you, ask if they will share your resume with the supervisor for the other positions.

trap
Diana---Yee ha! I am holding my thumbs for you. I agree with trapcook, and I spent about 5 years as an IT recruiter (in nonprofit, I should point out, but still). If by "asking about it" you mean asking a couple of questions to get some general info and display your curiosity and multi-dimensional skills/abilities, then go for it. I think most would not see it as a negative and something good might well come of it.
Sharer
This is great news!

The first question I have is, Are you truly interested in the position as a Developer? If not, you may not be happy and may end up not convince them they should move you to a more visible position [NOTE: NOT to be taken as a sign you don't take work seriously, etc, etc. Just something that may arise through dissatisfaction with where you're at]

Having asked that, I'd have to say it perfectly OK to ask about growth opportunities within the company. Few employees are content to stay at position X for the rest of their careers...that is, unless the position is CEO :-) If you're driven/ambitious enough to want to move ahead, most employers take that as a good sign...I always did when hiring.

Good luck!

RingwraithV
No. of Recommendations: 2
I spent about 5 years as an IT recruiter (in nonprofit, I should point out, but still).

A nonprofit with an IT recruiter? I'm amazed! I worked for -- and with -- institutional nonprofits in the DC area and all too often, I was the IT department.

I ran screaming from the non-profit world in large part because I got tired of leading horses to water only to find they didn't know what water was, let alone how to drink it.

RingwraithV
That is news that I wanted to hear.

You don't want to give them the idea that you wouldn't be interested in the Application Developer posotion. You might inquire discretely about the lateral moves.

Catleen
I would ask about opportunities for advancement within the company without telling them you don't want to be an Application Developer. That is the position advertised, so that's apparently what they are looking for. In my company, you have to remain in a position for one calendar year before being considered for another job within the company. So be prepared to become an Application Developer at least for a time. Good luck with the interview!

Louise
No advice, but good luck!
First of all, good luck in your interview!

If I may offer some advice: Keep in mind that telephone interviews are tougher to connect with the interviewer, so some advice I usually give: Make sure you take the call in a quiet room, preferably on a landline phone unless your cordless is very clear. Energy level is hard to convey by telephone, so take it up a notch. DO NOT answer call waiting, I assume you already knew that. Have your resume in front of you, as they will likely have it in front of them to ask questions. Have available names and numbers of references if you did not include a reference list in your initial contact.

Second, to answer your question about inquiring into other opportunities you've seen advertised: I agree with the other posters that you need to focus on the job you are interviewing FOR and be careful not to stray from that. Ask about growth opportunities, that is appropriate. Also, one way to subtly bring it up: a question most interviewers ask is "Why are you interested in our company". I would (truthfully) answer that you like what you know of the company, stability, etc. and that you have seen that they have openings in several departments that excite you, THIS ONE and, oh, the other one you're curious about.

If they for any reason don't hire you, I would definitely at that point contact the interviewer to see if you could be considered for a position in the other department.

Good luck!
MArianne
Diana-

Congratulations on landing the interview! I know that can be very difficult given the current employment market. My two cents would be to go into the interview with a positive attitude of being an application developer. Like you said, once your foot is in the door, it really opens up other chances to move within the company that may be more difficult to get off of the street.

There are worse things than being an application developer....errr, at least that is what I tell myself every morning when I wake up to go to work!

By the way, why do you feel contract jobs are so bad? I actually just left a full-time gig to enter the independent contract arena and I am loving it so far! Please share your insights and experience.

Thanks and please keep us posted on how the interview goes!!!

DT
No. of Recommendations: 1
d,

It's too late for me to offer any advice, and I don't have much anyway <g>. I've read of your saga but I don't know if I've replied to you before. Anyway I hope you had a fantastic interview!

Susan :^)