Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I came across this story this morning and thought it was noteworthy.
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/19991103/ts/retail_wrestling_2.html

Its obviously a Jakks Pacific product. This type of publicity may even help sales somewhat.

Ace
Print the post Back To Top
I came across this story this morning and thought it was noteworthy.
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/19991103/ts/retail_wrestling_2.html

Its obviously a Jakks Pacific product.
---------------------------------------
Oh my... "carrying a woman's head?"
Ah well... selling after the split.
D.
I'm going to sell, too. When's the split supposed to be?
This is a first for me, selling a stock because of ethics.
This is definitely Jakks, check out:
http://www.ringsidecollectibles.com/JakksFigures/I_Want_Head.html

I think this guy is allowed to do this on the WWF and the action figure is based on this guys act.

I too am very disappointed in the company for this obvious ethical breech. As a shareholder I intend to raise cain about it. If the kids want this action figure and they are told they cant have it, you can bet they will go nuts to find it wherever they can. Maybe the stock will go up on the hype generated in the next week or 2.
No. of Recommendations: 4
We're all Fools here right? Did everybody research
the company's products before they bought stock?
WWF been around for a long time and Al Snow and Head(as she's affectionately known) have been doing their act for quite a while. It's all pretty raunchy but also loved by millions. I'm keeping my stock. It will be interesting to see if JAKK yanks the toy. They are making toys that looks like the guys the kids are watching on TV. Better not let you kids watch WWF if you don't want them asking for this stuff.
WWF been around for a long time and Al Snow and Head(as she's affectionately known) have been doing their act for quite a while.

Barkles, thanks for adding some rationality to the discussion. I originally posted the news because I thought it might be noteworthy from an investor's standpoint. I really didn't expect (or solicit) the social commentary that accompanied it.

It will be interesting to see if JAKK caves to the pressure and pulls the toy. Actually, Al Snow has a new gimmick (even since he ate his dog, Pepper) and the Head gimmick has been dead for over 3-4 months. I guess its hard, if you are JAKK, to remain current with the WWF gimmicks.

I agree with you, Barkles. If you're offended by Al Snow and Head, you really had no idea what you were buying into.

Ace
AceKewl: I agree with you, Barkles. If you're offended by Al Snow and Head, you really had no idea what you were buying into.

I agree with both of you. If WWF has to be socially acceptable then it won't be WWF any longer.

You does your DD and you gets what you pay for.

Karl :o)
Well, I for one am keeping my shares. I did do the research and knew what I was getting myself into before I bought. I hope this toy becomes a collector's item and sells out by this weekend. Even though JAKK is by no means a one-trick pony, WWF toys do account for a sizeable chunk of their revenues. So much so that evidently this stock is now on some people's black list.

And from what I've heard from fans of the WWF, this guy is not even one of the more popular stars. But we'll see what happens.

D - I know you've been looking to sell for some time now. I guess this was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. Good luck with your future picks.

I'm going to sell, too. When's the split supposed to be?
This is a first for me, selling a stock because of ethics.
------------------
CRoss the split is on Nov. 10. And this will be a third for me. Guess I'll never get rich from the stock market.
Cheers,
D.
Actually, Al Snow has a new gimmick (even since he ate his dog, Pepper)
-------------------
Charming...may sell before the split.
I knew that they had the action figures...I saw some of them...I had no idea about these.
D.
D - I know you've been looking to sell for some time now. I guess this was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. Good luck with your future picks.
---------------
Actually no, Tellorn...I was going to hang on till the split and through Christmas. Now I feel that I can't.
D.
Research is an ongoing (and educational)process. I'm outta here too, following the principle: Sell when you have a better place to put your money. No problem, that one.
No. of Recommendations: 6
I read that a number of you have decided to sell your ownership in JAKK due to the recent decision by Walmart to pull one of the action figures from the shelf. I read that your decision is based on morals and/or ethics. I sincerely appreciate that decision.
Although I happen to believe in this company and do not find this doll to be morally repugnant, I am a firm believer in the free market system and your decisions to sell are an example of that system at its finest. To be clear, we don not need legislators that have never met us and don't know anything about us deciding what is or is not moral or ethical for us. We can determine what is offered in the marketplace by making personal decisions such as those you have made. Ultimately, corporate America will respond accordingly or they will pay the ultimate price. Thus, instead of ridiculing you for your decisions I extend a loud "hear,hear" and wish you the best.
Now for my reasons to stay long. First, I am not and will not be a fan of professional wrestling. Thus, I know little or nothing of the character this doll is based on. I am told, however, that the "head" is not intended to simulate a real head, but only that of a mannequin. Apparently, the guy is supposed to be real strange. I believe the reaction of some to this doll is the sort of overreaction we have become accustomed to in this day and age in an attempt to appease everyone. Let's face it, this is a pluralistic society that is bound to hurt someone's feelings when ideas are freely expressed. Anyway, my view is that this is only a doll and the only people who will read too much into it are the people with too much time on their hands to think about it.
Second, this product is one of about 700 products this company produces. Even still, it is only one in a group that comprises a minority of the types of products produced. Based on my research, this company produces a large number of quality products, many designed to be educational for children, and if this one falls by the wayside because of consumer rejection, all the better.
Third, I am not prepared to throw the company out with the bath water. Perhaps it was poor judgment on the company's part to produce it. Who knows? Nevertheless, we don't execute people for a first offense and I am likewise prepared to give this company, which has time and again demonstrated an ability to be responsive to the interests of its shareholders, a chance to rectify any poor judgment it may have shown.
All in all, I remain confident in management and its vision for the company. I do not believe we have an immoral company (such as tobacco or HMO's- but that's another story) set out to profit at the expense of others. Thus, I'll remain an owner.
Once again, best wishes in your investing. By the way, if you are selling for ehtical or moral reasons, don't hang on until the split. First, the split is a non-event. It means nothing from a value standpoint. Second, why remain to achieve some perceived benefit from the split at the expense of your conscience?

Keith
Keith I do not own Wal Mart stock and certainly do not base my decisions on whatever censorship WMT decides. I pulled out of WMT a while back for various reasons which I won't bring up in here.
I do want to get my stock split out of JAKK so I can purchase another stock I can live with.
Cheers,
D.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I do want to get my stock split out of JAKK so I can purchase another stock I can live with.

Do you expect JAKK stock to soar after the split? And, if so; then, what you are actually saying is "I know this company is doing wrong things but I want to profit from it before I leave because I need the money".
Principles shall come FIRST, no matter what; otherwise they get degraded.
Come on! be bold and true, stand by what you say are your values and pay the price: Sell RIGHT NOW!

I am not shorting this stock, as a matter of fact I just jumped in and instead of advising people to get out, I should be advising them to get in for the sake of my portfolio (as I am planning to hold this stock for as long as they keep growing), but as someone who knew firsthand in my teen years what it is like to stand by our principles and pay a huge price; I can tell you that you will recover whatever monetary loss you incur now (actual loss or just loss of profit), faster than the loss of self esteem that will follow after the betrayal of your conscience (even if you "think" that a little wait is not a betrayal).

Regards,
Roger

Actually no, Tellorn...I was going to hang on till the split and through Christmas. Now I feel that I can't.
D.

D,
Sorry to hear that. I guess that I feel that since this is one toy out of one line of toys, I don't see it as spoiling the whole bunch. I like a lot of the other stuff that JAKK markets, the child guidance and now the blues clues stuff in particular.

I plan on hanging on to this stock indefinately, unless the fundamentals change, of course.

Good luck.
Excellent post by kaclaw
Best yet on this subject.
A must read for anyone serious about JAKK.

BTW, do any of you realize how ridiculous you sound when you say "This stock offends me, and as soon as I cash in on the split I'm going to sell"?

That's like telling your kids "Drugs are bad, and as soon as I sell this last gram of crack I'm outta here!"

If the stock offends you now, then every additional penny you make on it should offend you that much more!

I am long on JAkk and am not bothered by this Al Snow fiasco a bit. It will not hurt the company as these action figures are now becoming "collectors items." I heard one was being auctioned on eBay. As a woman, I find Barbie dolls more offensive and since wrestling has been around forever and no one in their right mind takes wrestlers seriously (it's entertainment) and they all need gimmicks, I realize that this is all it is. I have no problem morally in owning this stock and buying more after the split.
I say "Here, Here" to mfroger & kaclaw. If you want to sell because of this doll (or for any reason), by all means do it. I believe making this doll showed poor taste, and if the stock takes a hit for it, then so be it. I wished they hadn't but am willing as an owner to take the consequences of a price reduction.

deem, and others, you made two mistakes:
1) You came across preachy. I don't believe you meant to imply that others who don't sell are not considering ethics. But, that is how it came across. That, though, is the price you pay when you have an opinion and you state it. So, as far as this mistake goes, you should continue to let your voice be heard.

2) The mistake that does you in, however, is the hypocritical nature of your complaint. It sounds like your righteousness has a price. Does it?
deem, and others, you made two mistakes:
1) You came across preachy. I don't believe you meant to imply that others who don't sell are not considering ethics. But, that is how it came across. That, though, is the price you pay when you have an opinion and you state it. So, as far as this mistake goes, you should continue to let your voice be heard.

2) The mistake that does you in, however, is the hypocritical nature of your complaint. It sounds like your righteousness has a price. Does it?
---------------------------------
No. I did not mean to imply that those who don't sell have no ethics. I believe everyone has his/her own personal ethics. By the same token, for some to say that my waiting for the stock split before I take my money and run to another stock is hypocritical, is to me the equivalent of demanding that everyone sell the stock because of my own beliefs.
Your battlecry sounds like, "You stated your position now get back in here and fight!" I have no intention of doing that, but, can someone explain the split to me so I can go buy something else or add to a current position?
Hoping nobody makes an action figure carrying my head, although the thought has occurred to some.
Bemusedly,
D.