Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
http://pjmedia.com/blog/wal-mart-goes-back-to-basics-a-cauti...

After suffering seven straight quarters of losses, today the merchandise giant Wal-Mart will announce that it is "going back to basics," ending its era of high-end organic foods, going "green," and the remainder of its appeal to the upscale market. Next month the company will launch an "It’s Back" campaign to woo the millions of customers who have fled the store. They will be bringing back "heritage" products, like inexpensive jeans and sweatpants.

...this episode should be seen as a cautionary tale about "progressives" and social engineering experiments on low-income Americans. This morning's Wall Street Journal article is blunt: "That strategy failed, and the Bentonville retail giant now is pursuing a back-to-basics strategy to reverse the company's fortunes."

The failure, in large part, can be pinned to Leslie Dach: a well-known progressive and former senior aide to Vice President Al Gore. In July 2006, Dach was installed as the public relations chief for Wal-Mart. He drafted a number of other progressives into the company, seeking to change the company's way of doing business: its culture, its politics, and most importantly its products.

Sounds like Leslie gave Wal-Mart that same progressive result that Obama's given to America. Some people never learn.

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Quoted: They will be bringing back "heritage" products, like inexpensive jeans and sweatpants.

Can the clothes possibly get any cheaper and low grade at WalMart?!
Worse, Walmart has been shoveling tens of millions of dollars to the Obama campaign.

Guess they have to learn the hard way that his policies are good for nothing but failure.

t.
"Can the clothes possibly get any cheaper and low grade at WalMart?!" catherine

Huh? Wal-mart is "high-end" for me. Most of my clothes come from Goodwill and yard sales.

Trust me, clothes can be way more "low end" than Wal-mart. Like Hammer's Discount store. I've bought shirts at Hammer's for $1.50/each.

http://www.heraldchronicle.com/?page_id=833

Art
No. of Recommendations: 1
Huh? Wal-mart is "high-end" for me. Most of my clothes come from Goodwill and yard sales.

Art I hate to break this to you, but most of the clothes at Goodwill and yard sales are high end

The stuff from WalMart doesn't last long enough to make it to yard sales.

Don't mistake new for high end. Kind of like making the mistake of believing hope and change mean better and improved.
Quoted: They will be bringing back "heritage" products, like inexpensive jeans and sweatpants.

Can the clothes possibly get any cheaper and low grade at WalMart?!
CC

>>>>>>>>>>>>
the clothes aren't that bad!

I have bought stuff at Target and it's all made in China and of thinner material than Wal Marts. I strongly dislike Target and won't shop there again, it's always a waste of my time and money.

LD
I have bought stuff at Target and it's all made in China and of thinner material than Wal Marts. I strongly dislike Target and won't shop there again, it's always a waste of my time and money.

It all depends on what a person buys, I guess. I got a nice pair of capris there three years ago and they're still in good shape. Early this Fall, I bought a thin cardigan sweater off the clearance rack for something like 7 dollars. It's been washed and came out in perfect shape. I just followed the laundering directions on the tag - even put it in the dryer as instructed. No problems. Just bought two long sleeved rib tops from Kohl's at half price. They're soft and comfy and the one I've laundered came out beautifully. I love going to both K Mart and Wal Mart for apparel, as well. Got a nice fleece sweatshirt from Wal Mart that's warm and snug. Some Target stuff isn't so great but what the hay, what I get isn't overpriced and most of the time, serviceable. Not so much concerned about where something is made. It's my pocketbook that dictates.
buffalogal wrote: Just bought two long sleeved rib tops from Kohl's at half price.

I love Kohl's! I get a $10 coupon in the mail every six weeks or so and sometimes buy things on sale without paying one red cent.
the walmart jeans and shorts self destruct if you don't wash them on gentle....and air dry them. Otherwise they fray and self destruct at the pockets , along the top edges..........

the other shorts are fine.....you can dry them.

Walmart shoe quality has gone way down. The 'walkers' I buy are pure crap these days. Last 3 weeks. I brought back 3 pair to show them how crappy they are. Cheap and super cheaply made and not good. Stopped buying them. They used to last 6-8 months a pair.

t.
If they remove organic food from all stores, they are going to lose higher income customers. They have sale data (minute by minute) for all stores. It should be obvious what sells in which locations. There isn't a standard store inventory that will work in all locations across the country.

Designer jeans from WalMart always seemed inconsistent.

I haven't been into the grocery only WalMart that recently opened near me. There was an issue where they were injecting meat and chicken with salt and MSG. I don't know the resolution of that fiasco.
Walmart has been shoveling tens of millions of dollars to the Obama campaign.

Guess they have to learn the hard way that his policies are good for nothing but failure.

Obama's policies are good for Wal-Mart. The lower he can drop household incomes, the more folks he can consign to poverty, the longer he can keep people unemployed or underemployed, the more people will have to turn to the cheaper stuff sold by Wal-Mart.

--fleg
I haven't been into the grocery only WalMart that recently opened near me. There was an issue where they were injecting meat and chicken with salt and MSG. I don't know the resolution of that fiasco.

There is a grocery-only WalMart about to open very near me. It's on the road we take to get out of the burb to almost everywhere else, so it would be very convenient to stop there. And I will be going there for prescriptions, if I ever have any, but not much else. There are too many quality food stores around here for there to be any reason to visit Wal-Mart. Costco's house brand of a lot of stuff is pretty good so we'll likely take a pass on Wal-Mart. One thing it will do -- increase the traffic in and out of the area.

--fleg, thinking alternate routes
I've got a Neighborhood Market about a mile and a half north. Easy to get to.

ANother one about 4 miles away - a Super Store....easy to get to and back when it is not rush hour....otherwise they are very 'busy'.....

And another about 6 miles away.....on the Central Expressway and really busy in evenings and weekends.

I hit that one usually at 8:30 or so on Sunday morning on the way home from the Denny's where I read the paper each week.

I hit either the neighborhood market or the other big one..depending if i need something other than food at the time.

The Neighborhood market does have a pharmacy and your normal health items and things like toothpaste, soap, etc....but not much in the way of hardware, or any clothing, etc.

I got a Kroger 1/2 mile away.....long walk but you could slep your food from there and not even need a car..... And there are 5 other food stores within five miles.....Tom Thumb.....SuperSaver.....ALbertson's.....

t.

LD

I'm not included in Target's preferred clothing customers. Their corporate policy worked. I don't bother to even look at clothes at Target. Many of their paper and cleaning products are cheaper than grocery stores.
"Walmart shoe quality has gone way down. The 'walkers' I buy are pure crap these days. Last 3 weeks. I brought back 3 pair to show them how crappy they are. Cheap and super cheaply made and not good. Stopped buying them. They used to last 6-8 months a pair." tele

We have a shoe store here in town called "Marty and Liz" that is the best shoe store I've ever seen. I bought a real nice pair of New Balance Walking shoes size 13 EEEE a week or so ago for $39.95. They don't have boxes or anything and what you see on the shelf is what you get. My wife said she thinks it's like a close-out or brought back shoes but I've had real good luck finding shoes in my size there for cheap.

If you are ever passing through Murfreesboro you really should check it out. You'll love it.

"Loved Marti & Liz Shoes Murfreesboro, TN. Loved Marti & Liz Shoes Murfreesboro. I was in town, visiting family, when I happened upon this store. I love shoes, so I decided to take a look! Oh my goodness!!! I was in heaven! I work in the medical field and absolutely love Danskos, but they are so expensive. Well, guess what, they had a ton of them, my size!!! I had a hard time picking just two pair. I finally narrowed it down and headed toward the register, when a very nice associate answered all my questions about the nature of the place and politely checked me out. I left the store feeling like I had stolen two pair of Dansko's they were so inexpensive. I live in Indy. I will definitely stop in again, when I come to see my son and family. This will be my best kept secret. : ) Thanks Marti and Liz, whoever you are. My feet thank you, too."

Jul 24, 2008 – 2 Reviews of Marti & Liz Shoes "This place is a shoe lover's paradise. I went recently and walked out with four pairs of shoes for under $80!"

Artie
No. of Recommendations: 2
I bought a real nice pair of New Balance Walking shoes size 13 EEEE

Dang, wide feet there hoss! I wear a 10 1/2 or 11 (depending on the company). I'm a fan of Red Wing shoes, wearing some now in fact. That reminds me, I need to shine them.

My wife has very tiny feet, she can almost fit into my son's shoes and he's six! He's wearing a size 2 men's already, so if he keeps growing like that I may have to get him DNA tested because something isn't computing (well, except for the fact that he looks like a clone of me, lol!)
I have a smaller grocery store Walmart very close to me. Nice wide selection of foods. Good prices. It's weird though. Where I live, there are some very wealthy young pretty people. But across the tracks (on the East side of I-35), is where the poor minorities live.

This store population is a strange mixture of the two very differing populations/demographics. Nice people watching place.
But across the tracks (on the East side of I-35), is where the poor minorities live.

Dang, so when I would travel up I-35E how far was I from your domicile?
Dang, so when I would travel up I-35E how far was I from your domicile?

Less than 1/2 mile.
Less than 1/2 mile

And you didn't even wave :(.
"Nice people watching place." - aolf

My experience with Wal-mart is that the customers that shop there aren't the sort of folks that you want to look at too closely. Maybe it's just a Tennessee thing and the folks that live in Dallas, Texas are more attractive than us Tennessee folks?

Artie

My experience with Wal-mart is that the customers that shop there aren't the sort of folks that you want to look at too closely. Maybe it's just a Tennessee thing and the folks that live in Dallas, Texas are more attractive than us Tennessee folks?

Artie

Trust me Art, there are many, many Walmarts in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex (over 6 million people in the metro area), that you DON'T want to visit for people watching. They are often the poor obese people that aren't exactly pretty. Almost all in the area are that way. Not trying to be mean, but that's the reality.

My point is that we have a smaller grocery store Walmart where I live, just outside of downtown Dallas. The area where I live is rich with very young, wealthy very pretty people. Mercedes, BMW's, Audi's abound the area. It's sickening. Man, the pretty girl/per square mile density is out of this world. Even when I lived in Austin in the college population of Univ of Texas, it wasn't this good. My point is that this grocery store has a mixture of this young, pretty population, but given that it's Walmart it also attracts a different, poorer population. So the store is a strange mixture of the two demographics.
I bought a real nice pair of New Balance Walking shoes size 13 EEEE

Mine are 11½ EEEEEE. I guess AOLF can call off his search for Bigfoot.

--fleg

Artie

Definitely depends on the Walmart. I have easy access to 2 and one fits the description of yours the other is quite normal

The situation was the same was I was down in St Cloud Florida I lived within striking distance of two of them. Only 1 would I be willing to actually shop at unless I had no choice.
The area where I live is rich with very young, wealthy very pretty people. Mercedes, BMW's, Audi's abound the area. It's sickening. Man, the pretty girl/per square mile density is out of this world.

The other day on my walk I passed by the parking area adjacent to the elementary school where the moms collect their little darlings when school gets out. My passage just happened to coincide with the ringing of the bell, signalling a mass exodus from the SUVs and minivans as the moms ran to greet the little ones. Suffice it to say that there is several years' worth of material for Housewives of Lake Oswego calendars.

--fleg
"My experience with Wal-mart is that the customers that shop there aren't the sort of folks that you want to look at too closely. Maybe it's just a Tennessee thing and the folks that live in Dallas, Texas are more attractive than us Tennessee folks?"

I'd say half the folks shopping at the SuperCenter probably are packing an extra 75-150 lbs...... they enjoy their food.

Dunno how many pay with food stamps..I go through the self scanner....
and too busy to worry

t.
"Mine are 11½ EEEEEE. I guess AOLF can call off his search for Bigfoot." - fleg

Yeah you just can't have too many E's when it comes to shoes.

Art
Mine are 11½ EEEEEE. I guess AOLF can call off his search for Bigfoot.

--fleg

UFO's posts in the past.....the gift that keeps on giving. <g>

I must say, I have never supported Bigfoot. I feel that's very paranormal and not worth the time of intelligent, educated people....UFO's on the other hand, oh well...

Foolman....foot sized 10-1/2...11.
"Mine are 11½ EEEEEE. I guess AOLF can call off his search for Bigfoot." - fleg

Yeah you just can't have too many E's when it comes to shoes.

Shoes? I was thinking that maybe you were rating scary ghosts.