Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I see ads for walk-in tubs, proclaiming them so fabulous for old folks, but we'd never want one!

We have a lovely slipper tub, for times when she wants to soak, and a nice big walk-in shower.

Seems to me a walk-in tub is dumb. How would you walk OUT afterward? You'd have to let all the water out first - right? And by then, you'd be cold as heck!

What am I missing? Just curious.

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
Vermonter wrote What am I missing?

you are missing the opportunity to engage in wealth transfer out of your accounts

At some point in life some people get to the point that it is very difficult for them to step over the tub wall to get in and out.

I know a couple of people who would not be able to take a bath at home were it not for the step in tub that they have. Neither lives alone. And I never thought about it, but I suspect they sit on the built in seat while the water drains out. I'm sure that is less than ideal, but they still get the soaking time that they want.
You are missing the opportunity of sitting on a cold seat, buck naked, and trying to adjust the water temperature to somewhere between icy cold and scalding hot.

You are missing the opportunity of sitting on a cold seat, buck naked, and trying to adjust the water temperature to somewhere between icy cold and scalding hot.

The hotel in that I stayed in while working on a project in Sweden had walk-in tubs. The seat and seat back were heated. However, that was back in the Eighties.
No. of Recommendations: 1
" What am I missing? Just curious.

The hotel in that I stayed in while working on a project in Sweden had walk-in tubs. The seat and seat back were heated. However, that was back in the Eighties. "

********************************************************************************

If anyone had asked me if I thought that the 80s would ever be considered the "Good old
days" at the time I would have laughed.
but I suspect they sit on the built in seat while the water drains out.

However, if the drain is clog you could sit there for quite awhile.
" However, if the drain is clog you could sit there for quite awhile. "

Yeah...and if your shower door sticks shut, you're trapped inside, right?

or if the lights go out and there is no other illumination in your bathroom, what do you do? Stumble out of your shower? Trip over the throw rug?

I don't recall ever that my shower was clogged...then again I didn't have long hair females around the help clog it with the hair.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 3
"I don't recall ever that my shower was clogged...then again I didn't have long hair females around the help clog it with the hair.

t. "

You could get a dog.

Howie52
Just looking to be helpful and encourage folks to experience new things.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Howie52:

Exactly. I see the ads and wonder, imagining folks sitting there, cold and naked, waiting for that water to drain out before they can open the door and get out.

OTOH, we love our walk-in shower. Open the door and just step in and out, with a grab bar, too, just in case. And, of course, that attached extra shower head on a cable you can aim.

Had to ask the question, anyway, to see if I had missed something. Guess not.

Vermonter
Speaking of that extra shower head on a cable that you can aim, I replaced the cable with a longer one that reaches to the floor. Now I can bring the dog into the shower stall and give her a bath. The longer hose allows me to reach under her to rinse areas a shorter hose didn’t get to. Of course I have to get in the stall with her, so even though she cooperates I get pretty wet too, at least my feet and legs.

Trini
Good, Trini. We don't have a dog, though! :)
Hey Trini. Good hearing from you.

Take care,

ImAGolfer
No. of Recommendations: 8
Thanks, ImAGolfer. I’ve been here at TMF since April 1997 (I just looked it up) but I mostly just lurk. I used to post a lot on my giant iMac, but it’s upstairs, mostly collecting dust, ever since I acquired an iPad. Did you ever try to type on a picture of a keyboard while sitting in a recliner with a dog in your lap? Too much effort now that I’m 83, but I do follow my favorite boards every day.

Nassau County on Long Island is one of those places that was hit really badly by Covid. I haven’t been in a store or a restaurant or seen any of my friends since the middle of March. I figure I’ll be stuck at home till a reliable vaccine is available. Luckily my daughter and her family are right around the corner or I’d be totally isolated.

I figure I may as well start typing with two fingers on this piece of glass I’m holding. Ha.

Trini
I would suggest people that walk with a cane would like a sit down shower.....probably have a hard time standing without their cane, and it's hard to soap up, wash your hair - when you are using one hand on a cane.

Those who are mostly bedridden - who can't walk far - probably also would enjoy a sit down tub.

For those who like to 'soak' but can't imagine getting over the edge of a tub - or worse, getting back out after a bath - over the big 'edge' - it would be useful.

To those who have no problems using a regular shower - probably not of interest unless you like to soak - and can't get in the tub.

I know 'seniors' often 'fall' in the shower - whack their head - and sometimes die......it's a pain to pick up the soap after it slips away - I can't imagine someone who uses a cane would find it easy to do.

I got a nice grab bar in my shower and it's about a six inch lip to get in/out of it.

t.
My Vietnam War injuries have taken their toll and am now stuck with using a cane. However, before the cane became a necessity, I had a shower chair and a handheld shower head. I didn't use the tub in the other bathroom because I couldn't bend my right leg enough to get into the tub.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Years ago, a friend wondered why one would bathe in water that was getting progressively dirtier and dirtier instead of using a shower which always had clean water coming out.

CNC
No. of Recommendations: 3
I had both knees replaced two months apart when I was 69. At the time I was told that they’d have a useful life of about 15 years. Well that 15 years is almost up! However they show no sign of wear, and I’m always saying that they’re my best part and I’m saving up to replace the rest of me. I can do anything but kneel. Stairs are no problem. My hips are still fine, so when I garden I just fold in half and sort of stand on my head with my butt in the air. The neighbors thin it’s cute.

The bathtub sits there unused. Now and then I dust it.

Trini
I live in a pre-war building (the war is WW2)The studio apartments have a tub/shower but the one bedroom apts. have a separate shower -- The tubs are huge but require stepping over the side of the tub. I haven't used the tub for years and years, starting when I had foot surgery in 2006.

Several years ago a neighbor (Norman, nice man, probably in his 80s) fell getting into or out of the tub. He should have started screaming but didn't. He wasn't found for almost a week, was taken to the hospital and died a few days later. I don't think Norman had a cell phone but if he'd had one and carried it into the bathroom he might still be alive.

There are a number of funny stories, like the very dignified woman who couldn't get out of the tub -- husband in the throes of dementia was no help. The dignified lady kept yelling at husband, barking orders -- this only confused him more but he finally went to a neighbor. Dignified lady, of course was nekkid but neighbor persevered and says he tried mightily to unsee what he'd seen but to no avail.

There's more but I must go and re-fill my coffee mug. Tubs are potentially dangerous.
We got rid of our old tub/shower when we had the bathroom totally redone several years ago. We replaced it in the new floor plan with a "slipper tub" for my wife (white volcanic limestone -- very nice) and a walk-in shower (with built-in grab bar) we both enjoy.

Whole point about the walk-in tub is: How do you get OUT afterward? Sit there and wait, shivering, while the water drains out before you open that door in the side? Not to mention the possibility of that door springing a leak some day, I would think. It just looks like a nice idea that isn't really at all practical!

Vermonter
We remodeled this house when we bought it ten years ago. Removed the tacky pink corian counter top in the master bath. We installed a new cabinet with "Towers" on either end - gives a heckuva lot of storage. I can heartily recommend the tower idea if you're thinking of remodeling the bathroom. We will likely get towers (well, at least one, depending on the available room) installed when we relocate to the OFH.

Instead of the Jacuzzi tub we have a large built-in tub surrounded by a tiled sort of counter-like place to sit while getting in or out of the tub. (also a good place to sit and trim your toenails.) That tub has been used once, by the Countess, just to see "if it works." I used the counter just this morning to trim my toenails. (Yes, it's a rather large master bath. We have seen larger, but also smaller.)

CNC