Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
On Saturday, October 25th, I will be walking to cure diabetes. This is a 3.1 walk to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. I invite you to visit the web page I have published for this event to get more information. If you would be interested in sponsoring me with a pledge, I would be truly grateful. If you are in the Atlanta area and would like to walk with me, I would be extremely happy to have you come.

As you may know, I have Type II diabetes which is being treated with daily blood sugar tests and diet and exercise. My goal is to prolong the time when I will likely have to begin taking insulin either by pill or injection. My hope is that a cure will be found before my condition denigrates to Type I and I get really sick. You can help turn that hope into reality.

Please visit my web site at http://gisatl.org/jdrf to learn more about diabetes and the Walk. Whether you want to walk, sponsor, or just wish me good luck, thank you for your support.

Fuskie
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
If I was in Atlanta, I would be more than happy to walk with you. I was trying to walk with a local family here in CT this Sunday - but didn't get a response on whether they were walking. I usually drive to NJ to walk with my BIL's family <2 oldest kids have diabetes>. Last year it was lousy weather, but still a nice walk along the boardwalk in Avon-by-the-Sea.

If folks are interested in walks closer to you home check out www.jdrf.org upper right side of screen is an arrow to click on to find a walk nearest you.

Odee
Fuskie--
First off, you get a pat on the back for walking the walk--or, going to, anyway!

Secondly, you and I are both trying to control with diet and exercise. I've been off my oral meds for 14 months now; my HbA1c's are still lower now, than they ever were while I was taking Amaryl.
Just a coupla points for you:

-- there is no 'insulin pill' yet (which I'm pretty sure you know); at least, not on the market. A company called Emisphere has one in trials right now, though. However, your point is still the same; since, for example, with Amaryl (or any other sulfonylurea), what it does is force the pancreas beta islet cells to pump out more insulin whether they want to or not; which is not healthy for pancreas longeviity. Plus, more insulin in a Type-II's system usually is 'bad', in the sense that it makes our insulin insensitivity problem...which is what Type II diabetes really is--worse; not to mention promoting weight gain, which in many of our cases is exactly the wrong direction to go.

-- you and I will not degenerate to 'Type I', technically. Type I is an autoimmune disease where most everything else works, except that the insulin producing cells have been destroyed. In our case, if we don't aggressively work to hold our condition back...meaning, slow our decline through aggressive diet, exercise, and testing..... our beta cells can't pump out enough (or burn out), our insulin intolerance is worse...then we have to start injecting the stuff, which makes it over time keep on getting worse, etc. etc. That's why it's a degenerative disease; feeds on itself.
..unless you fight it like you are. Keep up the good work! And good luck on the walk.

jp
No. of Recommendations: 2
It works good on the uninformed. :-)

Fuskie
"what it does is force the pancreas beta islet cells to pump out more insulin whether they want to or not; which is not healthy for pancreas longeviity."

Please explain "pancreas' longevity." You mean the beta cells or the entire organ (which is certainly not the case). Data to back this up would be helpful too.

"our beta cells can't pump out enough (or burn out)"

To my knowledge, there is no evidence of beta cells "burning out." Could you show me data on this.

Thanks.

ab

I meant the cells might tend to burn out. Perhaps I misused the term 'pancreas longevity'; I may have done it because the references I've seen have always referred to it as 'pancreas burnout'---though I'm pretty sure they are referring only to the islet cells, since the pancreas itself does a lot of things.
If I have time this weekend I'll scan some of my Diabetes Forecast's and see if I can come up with anything.

jp
No. of Recommendations: 2
To my knowledge, there is no evidence of beta cells "burning out." Could you show me data on this.

Actually, I copied it from the JDRF brochure so maybe they can back it up.

Hey focus on the important thing here. I want your sponsorships! :-)