No. of Recommendations: 1
WalkingOnMarbles: "If I take the annuity immediately, then I also qualify for retiree medical benefits. I can't actually use the medical benefits now, since I qualify for benefits through my spouse, but I can defer them provided I take the annuity now. These medical benefits are not guaranteed, so they might not be there in a few years due to cost cutting."

This will be kind of simplistic, but it looks like you are being asked to buy a "pig in a poke".

You will be parting with real money for something that you cannot currently use and which may disappear at any time.

I know that medical insurance issues are difficult and that private insurance can be expensive, bu in order to assess the present value of that potential insurance, you will be WAG(ing)a bunch of unknowable numbers and I am unsure how you can have much confidence in the end result value.

As others have noted, the annuity also forces you to trade away all the potential upside of the portfolio that would result from taking a lump-sum.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.