Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm thinking about making some type of fabric wall art for my office. Has anyone done this before? Was it any more difficult than doing a basic quilt?

LWW
Print the post Back To Top
Larger quilts are more "forgiving" if measurements are a bit off and the corners aren't exactly correct. Straight (or wavy) edges are much more noticeable when the quilt is hanging, so your cutting and sewing really does need to be very accurate. Batting is important, too, because it will affect the drape of the quilt--you need a stiffer batt. The quilting will need to be the same density throughout the quilt--areas that are not quilted as heavily will hang differently.

If you're not going to quilt your wall art, then you have much less to worry about.

isewquilts
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I haven't tried to quilt anything since I was in college the first time (almost 30 years ago!) I have toyed with the idea of creating something somewhat abstract and then stretching it over a frame. Otherwise, if I do try to quilt it, I'll take your advice and find stiffer batting (and probably thinner, too, yes?) We do have a smallish (3ft x 3ft) quilt hanging in the office hallway. It came out looking really nice, I may need to look at it's detail a little closer.

Thanks!

LWW
have toyed with the idea of creating something somewhat abstract and then stretching it over a frame.

Probably the best idea for what you have in mind--stretcher bars are cheap!

isewquilts
<<<Probably the best idea for what you have in mind--stretcher bars are cheap!>>>

So true:)

LWW