Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 32
http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2008/12/wal-mart-gives-consumers...

Walmart announced Friday another delivery of weekly savings to help families across America cut the cost of Christmas. Operation Main Street initiatives have saved shoppers an estimated $300 million thus far this holiday season.In the remaining days for holiday shopping, Walmart projects it will save its customers another $100 million over and above its every day low prices.

According to Forbes, Wal-Mart was the most generous corporation in America in 2007, giving away $301 million in cash gifts to the Children's Miracle Network, Feeding America, The Salvation Army, the American Red Cross, the United Way of America, National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. Wal-Mart was almost twice as generous as the most profitable company in the world, Exxon, which gave "only" $173 million in 2007, and was #3 in the Forbes ranking.

Those B*STARDS! They must be stopped!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
yea WalMart!
No. of Recommendations: 6
Just think how much more they could have given if they hadn't been hit for hundreds of millions in judgements for forcing employees to work off the clock.
No. of Recommendations: 0
who is that masked little meany above??????
No. of Recommendations: 3
It's great they give to charities. Many of their employees probably need the handouts this Christmas, with what Walmart pays.

Perhaps they could just avoid the middle man and pay a decent wage with better health benefits?

--JC
No. of Recommendations: 39
<<
Perhaps they could just avoid the middle man and pay a decent wage with better health benefits?

--JC
>>

Or I suppose they could pay a big wage, be on the edge of bankruptcy and hope the taxpayers leave them a big Christmas present, like Gneral Motors.

Seattle Pioneer
It's great they give to charities. Many of their employees probably need the handouts this Christmas, with what Walmart pays.

--JC

How many jobs that pay above market wages and benefits have *you* created?
No. of Recommendations: 4
Or I suppose they could pay a big wage, be on the edge of bankruptcy and hope the taxpayers leave them a big Christmas present, like Gneral Motors.

Of course, the left would love that. They hate independance and want everyone to kneel down and suckle at the government teat. Everyone should be dependant on their government masters.

Right, keep the worker on starvation wages..

You know, no one's answered this yet:

How come the repugs didn't make the bank executives they bailed out take a pay cut?
>> How come the repugs didn't make the bank executives they bailed out take a pay cut? <<

Repugs! Hee hee ha ha! Wow, that's a great one! I've never heard that one, and I never would have thought of that one!

I am in awe of such witty and original material! Comic brilliance!

How come the repugs didn't make the bank executives they bailed out take a pay cut?

Why didn't the house of representatives with a democratic majority that approve the bailout demand the CEO pay cut?
"How come the repugs didn't make the bank executives they bailed out take a pay cut?"

Most of them had their 'pay' (the annual bonus) chopped in half...or gone..

Just look at NY state and NYC - both near bankruptcy since 40% of their tax revenues come from bank employees...

oops.....

Now they (the gov't) want the feds to bail them out!

PS: No one is forced to work for WalMart.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 1
"Why didn't the house of representatives with a democratic majority that approve the bailout demand the CEO pay cut? "

Congress is looking to lose a trillion dollars next year (spend more than they take in).

Why aren't you demanding Congress take a pay cut to help out the budget deficit? They are certainly responsible for spending a trillion too much and running up our taxes and national debt for the next 50 years...or more!

t.

tj:Why didn't the house of representatives with a democratic majority that approve the bailout demand the CEO pay cut?

Congress is looking to lose a trillion dollars next year (spend more than they take in).

Why aren't you demanding Congress take a pay cut to help out the budget deficit? They are certainly responsible for spending a trillion too much and running up our taxes and national debt for the next 50 years...or more!

t.

Their pay is negligible. I would prefer for them to stay home.

I'd would much prefer a reduction in federal spending.
1)end ag subsidies
2)end Dept of Education
3)end Dept of Homeland security
4)reduce defense spend by concentrating on war likely to fight--guerilla wars. National wars less likely so less high cost planes, ships etc are needed.
5)end Amtrak
6)end medicare part-D
7)medicare beneficiaries, except for indigant, should more of the cost of treatment to encourage market type behavior on their part.
Most of them had their 'pay' (the annual bonus) chopped in half...or gone..

Proof? And even if true, golly gee, what a hardship.

Why didn't the house of representatives with a democratic majority that approve the bailout demand the CEO pay cut?

Just guessing, but perhaps because those bank executives are some of the largest DNC contributors?!?
Just guessing, but perhaps because those bank executives are some of the largest DNC contributors?!?
----------------------------------------------------------------
I know Madoff was a big dem contributor, and it's said he structured his hedgefund on the same principles that social security is structured on today. Quite an homage to the democrat party.