Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Walt67: I’m retired and 77. I keep about 35% in equities. The problem is that as I implement recommendations of various Fool services (I belong to Boss Mode), I find myself squeezed into the large growth area, or at least growth in general. I’d like to be be more balanced with value etf/stocks, etc but it is hard to do that and also follow Fool services which tend to focus so much on growth. I’m guessing that others have the same practical problem. Any suggestions on this issue?

Hi, Walt. I see that you joined the Fool back in 1999, around the same time that I did, yet this is just your second posting on a message board. So presumably you've been doing a lot of reading of the various offerings -- and benefitting from them.

I will be turning 80 myself in the next week or so. Our main source of income is the RMD from my IRA, and my IRA as of yesterday is 67% equities, (50% a variety of ETFs, including last year's hit ARK funds, only 17% individual stocks). I keep cash (Money Market funds) sufficient to cover the next four years of RMDs. And the balance is invested in Options, following the conservative (for options) recommendations of the Fool's Options service. That keeps my mind active, is fun, and earns a good income, all of it in that IRA. This is not a path that would suit all temperaments, for sure--the options side of it--but I've loved it.

My main point to you underscores what others have already said, be very picky about the individual stock recommendations. Get into the ones you like, you understand--in short, that you care to follow. But at only 35% equities to begin with [unless we're talking many multiples of millions here], that's not really enough to spread around too thinly.

mathetes
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.