Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
You say that the new Mac iron is still priced out of reach? Why not become an ADC "Select" or "Premier" member, and then buy the system of your dreams at a discount:

http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html

Just click on the ADC Hardware Purchase Program logo in the center of the page, which will take you to the Apple Store, except that all of the prices will be discounted for developers.

Some examples:

Top-of-the-line dual 800 G4 -> $2,799
22" Apple Cinema Display -> $1,999
iBook with "combo" drive -> $1,529
Top-of-the-line TiBook -> $2,799

Plus you will get Apple's latest seed software, and even special 5-user versions of AppleShare IP and Mac OS X Server. For $500, the annual Select membership fee starts to look pretty attractive, eh?

Dave
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the hardware discounts are only available on the $3500 per year Premier membership.

Amphian
Amphian writes:

"Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the hardware discounts are only available on the $3500 per year Premier membership."

OK, you are wrong. :-)

Premier members get ten hardware credits, and Select members get one. Hint: if you are a select member, don't waste it on a $239 AirPort Base Station.

Dave
Premier members get ten hardware credits, and Select members get one.

You're right. From what I can find at http://developer.apple.com/faq/member.html#hardware1, it sounds like Premier members get ten credits per year, and Select members get one credit as a one time offer during their second year.

Q: Do Select members ever receive discounts on Apple hardware?

A: Hardware discounts are not included as a benefit of Select membership. However, Select members who renew their ADC membership after one year become eligible to receive one (1) hardware discount as a thank you for their commitment to Apple platforms. To qualify for this renewal hardware discount, Select members must renew before the expiration date of their current membership. If you let your Select membership lapse and join again at a later date, you will not be eligible to receive a Select renewal hardware discount.

So it looks like I'd have to spend $1000 to get a $500 discount on a G4 tower. Bummer.

Amphian

Amphian writes:

"Select members get one credit as a one time offer during their second year."

In my best Homer Simpson voice, "Dohh!"

Dave
No. of Recommendations: 5
You say that the new Mac iron is still priced out of reach? Why not become an ADC "Select" or "Premier" member, and then buy the system of your dreams at a discount:

Great, screw it up for the Mac developers that are having a hard enough time justifying new equipment purchases to develop for a market a fraction the size of the PC market. So now we get to have a rush of people registering as "developers" just so that Apple can lose whatever margins they've managed to retain so far, and as a result I wouldn't be surprised if either ADC membership becomes far more selective (i.e. must have a previous shipping title, etc.) or, even worse, they ditch the discounts altogether, hurting the Mac devs out there.

Yes, I'm a startup Mac software developer, I NEED those discounts in order to be able to stretch my budget as much as possible. This kind of greed -- especially when, in theory, we're all stockholders in a company that we WANT to see make money -- simply hurts everyone. Great, get your discount, then watch developers limp along with crappier hardware because the discount's gone.

Brilliant.

-LongHook
No. of Recommendations: 4
Great, screw it up for the Mac developers that are having a hard enough time justifying new equipment purchases to develop for a market a fraction the size of the PC market. So now we get to have a rush of people registering as "developers" just so that Apple can lose whatever margins they've managed to retain so far, and as a result I wouldn't be surprised if either ADC membership becomes far more selective (i.e. must have a previous shipping title, etc.) or, even worse, they ditch the discounts altogether, hurting the Mac devs out there.
Yes, I'm a startup Mac software developer, I NEED those discounts in order to be able to stretch my budget as much as possible. This kind of greed -- especially when, in theory, we're all stockholders in a company that we WANT to see make money -- simply hurts everyone. Great, get your discount, then watch developers limp along with crappier hardware because the discount's gone.
Brilliant.
-LongHook

Lets not be silly here.
Sure people might use the discount without actually developing but lets not complain about this.

the point is to join so that you can earn the discounts and hopefully develop with them.

Such as bringing over Linux and UNIX folks who have a UNIX-compatible product that they are hoping to develop or release for OS X but haven't the money to buy the expensive hardware (nine out of ten of them will most likely give this as the reason for staying away from the mac in the first place).

the same goes for the education discount.... in case you didn't know it is 100% on the honor system.
Sure people will use it when they are not supposed to, tough, it happens.

the ADC is great and I am a paying member, thank you, and I plan on using my ADC student discount for a nice new system that I wouldn't be able to afford.

Will I ever release software for the Mac.
Nope!
But that doesn't mean that I will not develop on the Macintosh as I will be using PHP and mySQL as well Multimedia applications to create stunning professional stuff that in case you didn't get the point ( I could be doing on a PC for one-third of the price).

The point is that I will be using a Mac.
Also lets mention here that is a once per lifetime discount, at least for students for the $99.

No. of Recommendations: 2
So now we get to have a rush of people registering as "developers" just so that Apple can lose whatever margins they've managed to retain so far

Considering the Select membership costs $1000 for two years and a year's wait before you get your $500 discount, and the Premier membership costs $3500 a year and requires the purchase of seven G4 towers to make up the cost, I don't think you need to worry too much about people joining casually.

OTOH, the prices also keep many of us lone developers from joining. If I'm going to write shareware, it's hard to justify even $500 a year.

Amphian
Considering the Select membership costs $1000 for two years and a year's wait before you get your $500 discount, and the Premier membership costs $3500 a year and requires the purchase of seven G4 towers to make up the cost, I don't think you need to worry too much about people joining casually.

I was blowing things out of proportion, but it just gets my goat when I see programs established to help out specific communities, then someone comes along and not only wants to take advantage of it for self-gain without regard to the company, its investors or the community trying to be helped, but then blatantly posts about it. Rude and short-sighted.

OTOH, the prices also keep many of us lone developers from joining. If I'm going to write shareware, it's hard to justify even $500 a year.

Tell me about it. I've developed games for the PC for years, and I'm now beginning to develop for the Mac, and the cost to get a good Mac development system is rather high (although, oddly enough, not nearly as expensive as my Dell Precision 220 2x933 w/ 512MB RDRAM cost me just 9 months ago). I'm a little amazed at how much they mark up their hard drive and RAM costs.

At the very least I had hoped that Apple would sell older systems to devs at a discount, both for testing and development. I would imagine that they're sitting on a bunch of Cubes that they could sell to educational or developers at a good price. Unfortunately they don't (they recommend you go to E-Bay if you want, say, a Rev. B Bondi iMac).

-LongHook
No. of Recommendations: 3
LongHook rants:

"I was blowing things out of proportion, but it just gets my goat when I see programs established to help out specific communities, then someone comes along and not only wants to take advantage of it for self-gain without regard to the company, its investors or the community trying to be helped, but then blatantly posts about it. Rude and short-sighted."

You know, LongHook, as a Select member myself, I didn't post that information to crap in my own nest. This is a very public offering by Apple - nothing that had "Do Not Disclose" written all over it. I still get a kick out of receiving a new beta seed of Mac OS only to find the new features scattered all over the web before I even open up the envelope - perhaps you can rant about that next.

If I turn in to next quarter's conference call, and hear ol' Fred tell the analysts that "our margins fell off drastically because we had an unexpected onslaught of new developers trying to take advantage of a program that we put out there with the express purpose of helping a specific community," then I'll owe you an apology. In the meantime, don't hold your breath.

Dave
seriously though,
I came here to post about the very same thing.

I was already beat to it.

Some important things about it need to be mentioned.
Before you had to download the price sheet, look it over and call someone, an agent or something and talk it all over with them.

You might still have to talk to someone before legally purchasing but this is new.

They have created an Apple store for developers and for this discount.

They obviously want to make it easier for people to talk advantage of this as they launched it at MacWorld with the new G4's already on there.

I hope that it does get students to join the ADC just for the discount so that they get the hardware, look over the free CD mailings and decide to program for it.

Even if only a few do this, it is still great news.

You still have to pay $100 a year and prove that you are taking programming classes or something.

In my Computer science classes a Mac was NEVER mentioned and no other CS students used one or for that matter ever used one.

This gives them the chance to get interested, get the computer, and hopefully program for it.

What I assume is that Apple knows it is fairly easy to get the discount, that is why it is a once a lifetime only deal. You get one chance. Most people will end up with a G4 or something anyway.
It still counts as education.

Every single programmer that Apple gets to use a mac is a bonus.
Someday they might mess around and make the next killer App.

release it for fun and later become a millionare from it.

Napster is a good example, maybe not recently, but you get the idea.
It could be the next new Spreadsheet or whatever.

I think it is great that Apple has rolled this out, I only wish it was done during WWDC instead of MacWorld but maybe this is coming from feedback and surveys handed out at WWDC. In that case, good job.

I am eyeing the 867 mhz G4 with a 17 inch flat panel and I will most likely get it. $3000 instead of $3700, good deal and a great machine to develop on and I will most likely purchase OS X Server and create some mySQL/PHP websites or maybe finally dig into WebObjects, only $99 for members of the ADC, and learn how to create solutions with that.

Obviously, it is a discount but Apple is still making money and making another education sell.