Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
http://biz.yahoo.com/ms/000927/2769.html

Whats's it all mean!? What's it all mean??!! Certainly reminds me of Alex Karras' classic line" Mongo but pawn in game of life". Perhaps we should change it to "Mongo but pawn in Gorrilla Game of life". Anyway seems that a tug of war is starting for control of GMST. Or perhaps it's not a hostile takeover and everybodies in on it but me. You guys wouldn't do that to me would you?! Man... I love you guys. Don't do me like that!

Anyway... Not sure whether to ride it out or sell into today's rally. Could be great for us GMST holders in terms of exposure but could be bad if we get rolled into Newscorp. I am one GMST long with no desire to be a Newscorp shareholder. Anybody else folowing this? Or are you all in on the conspiracy?
Glenn
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
...Or are you all in on the conspiracy?

It would be better for you if you just focused your attentions elsewhere.
Hmmm....
What do you mean by this exactly? That I sound a little frenetic and should breathe deep and go fishing for a while? Or do you not own Gemstar so could care less? Or that I'm getting a little paranoid? Or do you see this as insignificant to Gemstar's big picture?

I do feel left out of things. As small investors in a big deal, I would think we all would feel left out. Shouldn't we here something from our company? I was kidding of course about anyone here being involved in a conspiracy but it does smack of conspiracy to me. Aren't companies now supposed to disclose pertinent information to everyone at the same time? This could be really good for the GMST investor or really bad. If this results in further and faster distribution of the IPG and Gemstar is left as a stand alone entiity that would be good. If Gemstar somehow is folded into or absorbed by Newscorp than that would be bad. As investors I think we have the right to know. Or at least to here what our company knows about it. Didn't the SEC already rule on selective disclosure?

Sorry if this is off topic. I believed that there were many Gorilla Gamers who were invested in Gemstar. Perhaps not though.
Glenn
No. of Recommendations: 0
Didn't mean to confuse you. Just a feeble attempt at dry humor to try and defuse your paranoia. No, I don't own GMST but I do follow the gorilla game. You may want to ask your questions on the GMST board: http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=103823
No. of Recommendations: 2
Glenn,

Run (don't walk) to this link: http://www.foxnews.com/newmedia_workshop/analyst_transcripts.sml

After seeing or reading the presentations there, decide for yourself whether or not Gemstar is made stronger having Newscorp in their value chain. My decision: I think it's a fabulous fit.

Aren't companies now supposed to disclose pertinent information to everyone at the same time?

In spirit, yes. In fact, I don't think the SEC ruling has yet gone into effect but I might be wrong.

Regardless, what would you like to be openly discussed by Gemstar that hasn't been explained?

--Mike Buckley

OFF-TOPIC

Glenn,

You asked about the fair-disclosure stuff and two minutes later I saw an up-dated piece in the Fool's evening news about it: http://www.fool.com/news/foolplate/2000/foolplate000927.htm

--Mike Buckley
Mike,
Thanks a million for that link. I had seen it earlier when you pried it out of New York Stew over at SI. Thanks very much for that also. I read the link and listened to the conference call. I assume you heard about and perhaps listened to the conference call. If you haven't it was posted by Joe6Pack on the Gemstar board here at the Fool. Just an 800 phone number. I don't know if it's available anywhere on the web.

<<<Regardless, what would you like to be openly discussed by Gemstar that hasn't been explained?>>

My concern here Mike is whether or not Gemstar will be allowed to continue to function as an independent company and market the IPG and e-books to any and all companies willing to ante up the fees. This is why I am a Gemstar shareholder. I want Gemstar to be able to freely sell their intellectual property to everyone. If you listen to the conference call it sounds like Rupert Murdoch is in love with the IPG and the e-book idea. Deeply in love. He sounds very excited about the security features of the ebooks especially. these security features are something Tinker had pointed out before.
So my concern is will Murdoch try to gain some advantage for the other entities he owns by somehow restricting the use of either the IPG or e-books? So far... based on what was said in the conference call... he seems to want to accelerate the rollout of the IPG and e-books using his international platforms. Great! So perhaps he will be just another contented shareholder and customer of Gemstar. That would be excellent. And that looks like how it's going so far. Still it worries me that somone with all these interests that are not directly aligned with our interests as shareholders of Gemstar now controls our company. So far everything seems fine. There's a fox in the henhouse... but everyones decided to peacefully co-exist. I guess we will just have to wait and see what the weeks ahead bring. Thanks again for your help Mike. I really appreciate it.
Glenn
Just a few technical words on GMST..have been in a long time...suffered the slings and arrows of this volatile stock...but as of right now...there is a break in the downtrend..and a glowing candlestick...so if we can get some follow thru today...someone wants to own GMST besides us??....
http://nuttysites.com/gorilla/ ....dancingRat

Thanks for this analysis Rat. GMST was up today in a pretty gloomy market so I consider that follow through and hope it bodes well for the coming weeks.
TGIF
Glenn