Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
Not sure if this is true or not, but I received it in my e-mail yesterday.

AN AIR FORCE OF ONE FLIES NOWHERE

Subject: Fight over Afganistan

Hi all,

I had an interesting conversation last night with a pilot who had just
gotten back from Afganistan. Thought I'd share it with you.

If you've been watching the news at all in the past week, you've probably seen the coverage of the on-going battle in earstern Afganistan. Several Americans have been killed. In the first night 8 Americans lost their lives as two Army helicopters came under heavy fire.

If you've seen the news, you'll know that the first helicopter was
approaching their landing site (their "objective") at night, totally blacked out, when they came under fire. The enemy, using high-tech night vission goggles, launched a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) at the helicopter. It hit, bounced off, and luckily did not explode. The pilot quickly took off and tried to get away and somehow a navy SEAL fell out the back of the helicopter to the ground approx 10feet below. As the first helicopter flew away, the enemy was able to capture the SEAL, who was still alive, and eventually executed him.

The pilot I talked to last night (for about 2 hours) was on-board the second helicopter. He was sitting in some kind of jump seat, slightly behind the pilot and co-pilot. Also on board were over 20 special ops guys. As they approached their landing site, they too came under heavy fire. The first two RPGs hit the cockpit, exploding inside. One severed the pilots left leg from the knee down, the second blew the co-pilots right arm off at the elbow. Both of these just feet infront of the pilot I'm talking to. The thrird RPG hit in the back of the helicopter, also exploded inside and instantly killed 3 Americans. These 3 were just a few feet behind the pilot I'm talking to. As the wounded helicopter landed, the back door opened and the rest of the special ops guys started to run off. The first 4 off the helicopter were immediately killed by heavy gunfire. For the next 14 hours, the remaining fought for their lives. Over the next 14 hours, this pilot was able to! use the radio and call in "Close Air Support" or CAS. He said the first jet he saw was the F-15E Strike Eagle. Followed on by F-16s and eventually the A-10, all coming out of Kuwait. All of the fighters dropped every bomb they were carrying on the bad guys, and when they ran out of bombs, they rolled in with the gun (yes even the F-15E). He wanted to thank us and pass on to our fellow pilots, that without the help of the USAF, everyone on that helicopter would have been slaughtered.

Two things became crystal clear to me last night.

This is no video game, and we're going to win.

Rob
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.