Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
War resolutions act

Today’s vote in Congress we can see United States and emboldens are enemies.

Trump will veto this bill and accomplishes nothing other than weakening the United States
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Only Congress can declare war.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Only Congress can declare war.

+++
+++

Gulf of Tonkin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tonkin_Resolution

sunray
a man with a memory
LBJ was Authorized by Congress.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I really have no problem with Congress retaking their duties that they have pawned off on the other two branches with regard to declaring wars. They have been derelict in favor of passing off blame for unpopular decisions to others.

However there needs to be a mechanism in place for quick responses to threats as well as opportunity actions that include key Congress critters sworn to secrecy and empowered to approve immediately in the decision making process. Those individuals can initiate congressional action after the fact (when secrecy is no longer needed) to determine whether or not a declaration of war is needed. One factor in all of this needs to be whether an action hostile to us has been committed by an admitted enemy of the U.S. or who has declared war on us, formally or rhetorically such as most terrorist organizations and some nations.
No. of Recommendations: 8
I do find it strange that some foreign government can declare that war is on between that country and the US... and the US Congress can say "No it isn't! We aren't at war!"
No. of Recommendations: 2
"I do find it strange that some foreign government can declare that war is on between that country and the US... and the US Congress can say "No it isn't! We aren't at war!" "

**************************************************************************************

I suspect congress has been practicing the phrase "La,la,la,la." since the mid-terms.
I do find it strange that some foreign government can declare that war is on between that country and the US... and the US Congress can say "No it isn't! We aren't at war!"

Hard to imagine Congress avoiding a crucial responsibility in a time of crisis.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Hard to imagine Congress avoiding a crucial responsibility in a time of crisis.

OK, but what is the political definition of "crisis?" I doubt that politicians can reach a consensus on that point by itself.

With clear rules, prompt decisions are possible. But in real world politics the rules are often fuzzy and subject to interpretation or re-interpretation.

Uncertainty means timeliness is rare. And doing nothing is easiest. Then you can criticize what the Pres decides to do or not do on his or her own. A sure winner. Little or no risk.