Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
J&J/Lifescan/OneTouch warning.

Their software for reading meters and storing data used to be local (on your PC if you wanted). I kept my info in a file on my PC. History of meter readings went back to 2008 (about 9k total readings).

You could pick and choose whichever time period you wanted to see and analyze it, or just review it.

They discontinued the old software (no longer available) and began a totally different software in 2020. The old software is now limited to about 5 years look back (or has a limited number of readings it can handle--can't tell). This all began in Oct 2021, when the old software could not go back to the 2008 readings. Yet, I had seen the full set of data in June 2021. So we know when the change happened.

BEWARE THE NEW SOFTWARE.

It is "ONLINE ONLY"--including all your data. You do NOT have access to it locally because it does not exist on your system. Obviously, if the data is stored on the Internet, then it can be hacked, etc. They do not care. Three guesses how much their LAWYERS care if/when they get sued for HIPAA violations when the data (YOUR data) gets publicized and/or destroyed (so you can't see it OR use it).

In addition, the MAXIMUM time period the new software can see/analyze is 90 days. There are defaults for 14-30-90 days. You can use 1-90 days, but if you choose more than 90 days, it defaults to 90 days and says (in red)--you have selected XXX days, and then shows the 90 day analysis. No, you can NOT analyze a historic time period--because there does not exist such historic database in their system. Again, it is YOUR problem (not theirs?). Seems to me they are actively trying to drive customers away from using their diabetes products.

As a result, I am actively seeking a new software to analyze glucose readings that are NOT on the Internet. I will be switching away from OneTouch to another meter that is supported by whatever software I find appropriate.

Recommendations? Remember: Software capabilities FIRST.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.