Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
Not confirmed yet but the 10 am Feds briefing this morning is reputed to include allowing fully vaccinate Canadians to cross the border without facing quarantine when they return. Many of them have stuffed bank accounts from lock downs and a thirst for whatever they can stuff in the back of their cars without paying 15% tax on it. I suppose the higher C$ might also be a factor?

Consider yourself warned that untanned people with a feverish desperate look may be dangerous if you get between them and bargain shopping!

I will not be among them as it is a long drive to get to the nearest US border shopping town (Houlton Maine) from Halifax and I don't want to be crushed by the mob.

Tim

OT - Looks like Halifax will be hit tomorrow with the remains of former Hurricane (now Tropical Storm) Claudette. Mostly a heavy rain event.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Next thing you know the Uppity Snow Munchers will be flocking to Florida

Cheers
Qazulight
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Next thing you know the Uppity Snow Munchers will be flocking to Florida

Cheers
Qazulight

Not me, we have direct flights from Halifax to Varadero 4.5 hours beginning in January (just when I'm getting tired of the weather here). Two weeks all inclusive probably a 4 or 5 star. No crazy governors making insane rules and mostly even the cops don't have guns.

Of course there is also California, separate trip.

The Diplomat kid has been told to brush up her French as Global Affairs wants her back to work when current loaner gig runs out. I suggested a UN job in Switzerland would be nice and a short hop to Italy?

She showed interest. 😊

Tim
A trip to NS and PEI are definitely on the bucket list as the Scottish side of the family tree landed there first. We figured we would take the high speed CAT ferries from Maine which are scheduled to restart. I am also trying to convince the Hard Rock Cafe people to open a location in Portland for the Canadian tourists when they come to Maine to visit seeing they closed the Montreal location. I still have the Tshirt!
The only Canadian invasion I care about is the annual migration of the mayflies, which the bats hanging out in our attic seem to greatly enjoy (which, of course, means little also likes them because she gets a kick watching Batty and the family drop out of the rafters during summer).
Hey,

Snow munchers, indeed. if you haven't tried fresh snow covered with REAL Maple Syrup you don't know what you are missing. Yum
No. of Recommendations: 1
Man, did they ever screw that up!

Sounds like the grand border reopening claim was vastly exaggerated!

People with Children under 12 would still have to quarantine as we don't have a vaccine approved for the kids. If fact the whole thing is starting to sound like a complete FUBAR.

Still waiting for full details.

Then they make the announcement in French with English translation over each other!

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/border-quarantine-to-soon-lift-f...

Now we are talking about removing the Flight ban from Pakistan.

I give up.

Tim
Tim,

When did they allow American politicians into the Canadian government? ;-)
I am also trying to convince the Hard Rock Cafe people to open a location in Portland for the Canadian tourists when they come to Maine to visit seeing they closed the Montreal location. I still have the Tshirt!

The big one in Nova Scotia these days is "East Coast Lifestyle".

Wife did most of her Xmas shopping there for all the boys in the family including the SILs ... and me. The Hoodies were really popular but also the "Stay the Blazes Home" t-shirts were a hit.

https://www.belowthebelt.com/collections/east-coast-lifestyl...

https://www.google.com/search?q=stay+the+blazes+home&rlz...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ONjkkv2tXg

Tim
I hope they make it down here to the Bay Area. We love what friends we still have left from the Northlands. Most of them are somewhat civil and polite, so welcome. (Nobody is going to check the kids once they're down here either).

We're mostly vaccinated, and numbers are still low/decreasing for now.
When did they allow American politicians into the Canadian government? ;-)

Can't blame them for this one ... well they have been pressuring Trudeau to open the border ... which with an election probably in the wings and a minority government forces him to "Stand Strong". Of course every mayor of every tourism town along the border is also piling on.

Somewhat OT ... and a bit political but things such as party loyalty are a bit easier north of the border because the PM is leader of the party and unless he calls a free vote (rare) then any party member that doesn't tow the party line ends up sitting as an independent without a voice or financial support to get anything done for his constituents or receive funds for reelection.

The current Dem holdout(s) would suffer that fate.

Harper removed some of his western MPs because they wanted to put gay marriage and abortion back on the party agenda in spite of him saying they were settled law, not to mention they would have been self inflicted vote losers.

Current opposition Cons party is trying to find some way to improve the marketability of their chosen leader without a whole lot of success.

Most Canucks would rather skip the election ... but of course that's almost always true.

Company has arrived for dinner.

Tim
Not confirmed yet but the 10 am Feds briefing this morning is reputed to include allowing fully vaccinate Canadians to cross the border without facing quarantine when they return.

It looks like only 12% if the population is fully vaccinated so I doubt there will be a flood of people at the border. That number is rising by 5% per week (now that Canada has finally started with second doses) so it might be upwards of 20% by July 6th.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/vaccination-cover...

tecmo
. . . former Hurricane (now Tropical Storm) Claudette . . .

+++
+++

Tim,

I dunno Where ya gotz your wx info, BUT Claudette was NEVER designated a "Hurricane".

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2021/CLAUDETTE.shtml

sunray
a man in FLA (northern Gulf Coast, near Destin)

{{mebbe Vets of the CAF/RCN should stick to meteorology NORTH of the Peace Garden in No Dak}}

;-)

p.s. It is still raining here for most of this week

p.p.s. Orlando is OPEN, bring $$$
You can generally rely on government to do something stupid.
Tim,

I dunno Where ya gotz your wx info, BUT Claudette was NEVER designated a "Hurricane".

I dunno, maybe our weather guy got it off this list?

The names for the 2021 Atlantic hurricane season include Ana, Bill, Claudette, Danny, Elsa, Fred, Grace, Henri, Ida, Julian, Kate, Larry, Mindy, Nicholas, Odette, Peter, Rose, Sam, Teresa, Victor and Wanda. Jun. 2, 2021

Should add (complain?) that the storms y'all send us often wander out into the Atlantic, regain strength then hammer Nova Scotia that is sort of stuck out there off the right side of North America?

Tim

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA861CA861&s...

Then of course we have our home bred version.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA861CA861&s...
Man, did they ever screw that up!

Sounds like the grand border reopening claim was vastly exaggerated!

Now we are talking about removing the Flight ban from Pakistan.

I give up.

Tim

Headline on the Business news this morning: Calling for clarity on the border opening!

No kidding, if this was supposed to clarify anything it totally did the opposite!

The Doc who was probably behind it provided one very short rather angry reply something like. "Kids get COVID-19, they can pass it on when they come home"!

Oh well back to the drawing board.
Tim: Current opposition Cons party is trying to find some way to improve the marketability of their chosen leader without a whole lot of success.

I love when a supporting headline pops up the very next day supporting my position. 😍

Of course if he forces then loses the election there will be another leadership convention with little chance he will keep his job. He doesn't have an army of supporters that will lie or storm parliament for him. Most Canucks were surprised when he won the leadership of the Cons in the first place!

OT - if you look over his left shoulder in the picture you may notice a picture of a Sea King identical to one I have somewhere in my I love me box. He was a military navigator that did at least one tour in Sea Kings as a TacNav before going into the politics business (night dipping gets a lot of them that way). }};-@

Tim <who reminds everyone that Canadian politics is exempt from the no politics rules cause we don't bribe politicians, carry guns or shoot people over it!>

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/john-ivison-with-conse...

National Post

John Ivison: With Conservatives down in the polls, Erin O'Toole faced with a brave choice

John Ivison 7 hrs ago

A new Nanos Research poll has the Conservatives plumbing depths not seen since late 2016, when the party had only just appointed Rona Ambrose as interim leader (the new poll has the Conservatives at 25.3 per cent support, compared to the Liberals at 37.4 per cent and the NDP at 18 per cent).