No. of Recommendations: 0
warrenps wrote:
I will be adding approximately 10k per year for the next 10 years.

I would like to have about 40k per year in retirement (in today's dollars) when I reach 65 in 11 years.

This is doable, but just barely, assuming the 40K is before taxes. I did a real quick projection using the following assumptions:

8% return per year until retirement
3% yearly inflation
6% return after retirement
$40K today is equivalent to $55.369K in 11 years
$290K initial investment
$10K per year investment for 11 years
54 Current age
65 Retirement age
85 Age at death

With these numbers, you should have approx $842K at retirement. If you then start withdrawing $55.369K (before taxes) a year and adjust that amount upward for inflation each year, you would run out of money the year you turn 85.

Bear in mind this is a very simple-minded projection and doesn't account for real life. If during any year or stretch of years the return is less than the average 6%, you could be in trouble. It also doesn't take into account any Social Security or pension benefits you may have. And lastly note the withdrawal amount is pre-tax, so you must decide the tax bracket and/or capital gains rate that is appropriate.

A word of caution about your expected withdrawal rate. $55,396 is about 6.5% of $842,000. Lots of dicussion here and other places in the past have suggested/shown this is much too high a withdrawal rate under anything but ideal circumstances which Life never is. The quoted safe figure varies, but seems to be about 4% to 5%. Reading previous messages on this board would provide a wealth of opinions.

Hope this helps.

--DarkOut
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.