Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[Was I obligated to make an estimated tax deposit for September? and if so can I catch up by
making an estimated tax deposit for December (4th Qtr)? (even though the stocks were sold in
I hear I may be penalized when I do my return for not making estimated tax deposits. My regular
job has Fed and State withholding and although I have made estimated tax deposits in a few years
in the past for various reasons... I never thought to make a deposit this this is the first time
I have had such a large capital gains on a sale of stock and since I invested it back in the market
right away I didn't think about the tax consequence ...thinking I would just have to pay it at the end
of the year.]]

As "rjm" pointed out in a previous post, the answer may be "yes", with a big "but" attached to it.

One of the ways to avoid the underpayment penalty for 1998 is to pay in at least 100% of your 1997 tax. Then you can make any balance due payment on April 15th without penalty or interest. I speak in greater detail on the estimated tax issue in the Taxes FAQ area, and I discuss extimated taxes in MUCH greater detail in The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide. You should at least move on over to the FAQ area and read up on estimated taxes in order to see if you can carve yourself a little loophole.

TMF Taxes

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. There is still time available to do that tax planning (and tax saving) before the end of the year. So just click on this link ( to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on and you'll be right at the home page. Pay special attention to the "archives" section. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on to go directly there.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.