Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Was that MRI really necessary? I doubt it. The machine was available, the insurance would pay ---why not do it? Perhaps the doctor was practicing defensive medicine so they wouldn't be sued.

Yes and no. MRI is noninvasive as opposed to the way herniated disks were diagnosed, mylogram. So, low risk, high benefit. Also, get the chance to look at surrounding structures to make sure there isn't another cause for your pain, i.e., cancer impenging on the nerve. So there probably was some defensive medicine going on.

I also have a history of kidney stones. When I first had that condition I had a general indemnity health insurance policy which paid for almost any old thing. I had repeated hospitalizations and fairly complicated Xray procedures repeatedly to see if the kidney stone moved. It didn't and after a couple of months it was removed surgically.

On the last occasion when I had a kidney stone, I had HMO coverage. On my first appointment to a urologist, I had the usual X-ray to confirm the diagnosis, and was scheduled to have the surgery to remove the stone (a not too invaisive out patient procedure) scheduled at that same appointment. I'm sure that greatly reduced the costs.

So--- was I overtreated the first time, and given better treatment the second time? I can't evaluate all the choices made by the doctors involved, but sometimes less treatment can be better!

Some of that could've been due to the time (year) that you had your stones. Fiberoptics and other such technological advances are now common place, but is little as 20 years ago it was probably not the standard of care.

JLC
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.