Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 8
was wondering, is it possible to sell my rental house and instead of reinvesting in another rental or investment property, can I invest in a REIT and not pay capitol gains? I think they call it a 1031 exchange.

No. You have 2 issues:

- REITs are generally sold as either stocks or partnerships, neither of which is eligible for a 1031 exchange
- 1031 exchanges must be 'like-kind', so you need to buy another real property in the US if what you are selling is real property in the US

See the instructions for IRS form 8824 for more information.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.