Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
As everyone I have incurred capital losses on my mutual funds this year.
I still like my funds, but it is tough to ignore the tax benifits of
claiming these losses. What I want to know, is can I transfer my $$
between funds of the same family and "generate" the losses?
then, in 31 days or before Nov 30, when the funds distribute gains and
losses for the year, can I switch back to my original fund without any
tax penalty?

I tried to find out if anyone had already explored this , but was not
successful in finding exact info

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.