Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been more activity investing in options this year and have some questions on the wash rule as it relates to call option trades.

1. I have some short term options I want to sell to harvest the tax loss, but want to stay long the stock through similar call options. Specifically I have a tax loss for an option that expires in September that I want to sell and buy replacement January 2019 calls. I know if I sell the September calls and then buy the January 2019 calls, the wash rule will prevent me from taking the tax loss until I sell the new cals. However, can I plan around this by buying the January 2019 calls a day before selling the September calls so that I won't be buying within the 30 days after the sale?

2. Also, assuming I triggered the wash sale, if I sell the new options within the same tax year as the similar options that caused the loss, would I attach the wash rule loss to the original options that caused the loss or the new options that triggered the wash sale when I file my tax return?

3. Lastly, if sold a call at a loss and then bought the same call back 20 days later (triggering a wash sale) and then sell the call again 15 days later, can I buy the call a third time without triggering a wash sale since the original capital loss was 35 days before or does the clock reset when I sell the new call which triggered the wash sale?

I appreciate any feedback!
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.