Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
[Apologies if this has been discussed before - I'm new to this board.]

What are the tax consequences of selling stock at a loss in a regular (taxable) account and buying it back within 30 days in a tax-sheltered (IRA) account? I know that it's a wash sale if the stock is repurchased in any taxable account, but what if I buy it in my IRA?

I'm doing this because I can't transfer stock directly to my IRA. Instead, I funded it with a check drawn against margin. I then sold stock from my regular account to cover the margin loan and put a buy order in on the same day to purchase the stock in my IRA. I intentionally picked a stock that had lost a bit of money to avoid paying large capital gains.

Does this count as a wash sale, or is it exempt because I purchased the stock in an account on which I'll never pay capital gains (or other tax - it's a Roth IRA)?

Thanks for any help!
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.