Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This question concerns "Wash" sales of stocks between taxable and tax-deferred accounts:


1) Jan 15th, 1999: In a taxable brokerage account, I purchase 100 shares of XYZ for $2 per share (total = $200)

2) Dec 1st, 1999: I sell the 100 shares of XYZ purchased in step (1) above for a loss, say at $1 per share (loss = $100).

3) Dec 1st, 1999: I purchase 100 shares of XYZ in a regular IRA for $1 per share.

Question 1: Since the loss occurred in a taxable account, can I use it to adjust the basis in the repurchased shares in the IRA?

Question 2: Can I take the $100 as a short term capital loss on my 1999 tax return?

Question 3: If I switch the accounts in the above example (make the original purchase in the IRA, then sell at a loss in the IRA, then immediately repurchase the shares in a taxable account), may I adjust his basis in the repurchased shares in the taxable account for the IRA loss?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.