Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
i am the trustee of a trust for the benefit of my sister. there is an inherited ira the beneficiary of which is the trust.

background to my question:

prior to the washington mutual bankruptcy in 2008, the ira held washington mutual bonds in a quantity of x. happily, those bonds were ultimately paid in november 2012. for reasons beyond my understanding, payment happened in two parts: 90% of the bonds were redeemed for cash inside the ira, and 10% were paid by check directly to the trust (so outside of the ira).


i have received a 1099-b for the 10% paid directly to the trust, with the amount paid appearing in box 2a (stocks, bonds, etc.). the instructions say to report this amount on form 8949 as explained in the instructions for schedule d.

however, because the bonds were held inside an ira, i think i should (or at least may) instead treat the amount like any other ira distribution and show it as income. is this correct?

note: the reason i want to treat it is income is for simplicity. the amount is small, and treating it as income will not incur additional tax liability.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.