Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Wasn't sure whether to reply to this message, your previous, both separately or both together but think I will go the latter approach.

I would like to see some reassurance from TMF staff regarding that other than the statment that there are no current plans to close it.

First I do not know if GG is close to closing or not. I hope not but like you I do not know but unlike you I do not seek any reassurance because I have no expectation that they would or could do so. I have been party to a number of sales and closures and many more near sales and closures in my day and one thing you do not do is tell people that it will or may happen. This is both true to customers, vendors, and employees. The best practice I have seen for this is at the most telling people (in good times) that if it ever comes to that then the only thing we will promise is that we will tell employees first, customers and vendors second, and then the general public when a small imaterial portion of the business closes (a major action on say a publicly traded company may require almost simultaneous announcements for SEC reasons. To go talking about what one will or will not commit to in the face of closure may only serve to guarantee a closure when it may otherwise not get that bad.

From your first message I would like to see some reassurance from TMF staff regarding that other than the statment that there are no current plans to close it.

I'm with Bears on this one. "Horrid" in a comparison with the world economy is a bit strong of a term.

<iWith Bill's departure and its performance there is very little motivation for any new subscriber to join in and a lot of existing subscribers to head out to the exits.

Ah the horrors of unintended consequences. So many people clamored for the Fool to have an asset management arm so they could invest in that. Now that it is coming to fruition there is a collective beating of breasts in that they had the audacity to task one of the best for the job. Where are all the messages of jubilation? Or were people hoping they would do so with Madoff? I hear he is available. Sadly I think you are right that this may indeed happen but to me there is a ton of motivation for a new subscriber to join and for existing subscribers to stand fast. The global economy in my opinion will outperform that of the US over the next 10 years is still my opinion. Yes in times of panic people may flock to the dollar and US stocks but 0 or negative interest rate Treasuries is not a long term wealth position to take. That said panic abounds and all too few make take up GG as part of their investment plans.

So what can be done to avoid GG closure as it clearly has a great potential and a great team that actually keeps their butts in motion? I think this deserves a debate and everyone should participate.

I hope that they do not decide by committee as to what they should pick. I will not cover your ideas one by one in the interest of brevity because few will probably read this on Christmas anyway (I mean how many people are hiding in the MF universe rather than helping with the Christmas dinner. At least my wife thinks I am the only one.)

Now let me say that I think suggestions are perfectly okay. For example I think they should have sent out an email informing GG members of the change. If they did then they need to check why so many did not get one (yes I checked my spam folder and as many can attest they certainly have no trouble getting ads in our hands so go ask those guys how to do it if it was attempted and failed.) Also I believe your suggestion as to what to do if a service closes is a good one. But I think it is a bit over the top to ask them to commit to what will be done if one or another scenario plays out.

Dave
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.