No. of Recommendations: 1
Watching the film of the patient I could see that she generally repeated herself (confusion about the date) but the wording she chose to use differed each time. So while it may have been described as "robotic" it was not like a machine going through an endless loop.

The inputs also differed each time. Similar inputs produce similar outputs. That's not a win for non-determinism.

Yes it is. But it is also not the only area where quantum coherence is believed to play a role in biological systems. A whole subcategory exists called "Quantum Biology" to examine this possibility:

"...The emerging field of quantum biology is concerned with interactions between dynamical phenomena at well-separated length and time scales, from femtosecond energy transfer processes in molecular assemblies at the nanoscale to survival and reproduction within ecosystems at the scales of overall organisms..." https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rsif.201......

At least for the two areas that I'm familiar with, that's a remarkably biased review. For both photosynthesis and olfaction, they completely ignore the body of work that suggests or demonstrates otherwise. For olfaction, I thought that idea had died a horrible death. Both humans and a tissue culture model failed to distinguish between regular and deuterated forms of the molecules, suggesting that molecular vibration did not play a role. And, a subsequent study suggested that the difference observed in flies was due to how quickly the molecule is metabolized (it was already known that the different isotopes affected this rate.

I don't have time to carefully review the rest of the claims, but the fact that they're 0/2 of the fields I'm more familiar with does not give me confidence about the rest.

-Anthony
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.