Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 14
I thought that some of you might be interested in this new water resources ETF, considering that Aqua America is a component, and perhaps a broader interest in water related stocks and investing.

The holdings and percentages of each company in the Powershares ETF (Ticker symbol: PHO) are based on the Amex's Palisades Water Index (Index symbol: ZWI).

These are the companies and their respective percentage in the fund/index:
Insituform Tech	INSU	4.77%
Franklin Elect. FELE 4.50%
Aqua America WTR 4.43%
Nalco Holding NLC 4.38%
Watts Water WTS 4.31%
Pall Corp PLL 4.30%
Layne Chris Co. LAYN 4.30%
Millipore Corp MIL 4.28%
Consol. Water CWCO 4.22%
Pentair, Inc PNR 4.20%
United Util UU 4.19%
Comp Saneamento SBS 4.14%
Amer. States AWR 4.03%
Itt Indus ITT 4.03%
Southwest Water SWWC 3.94%
Calif Water Svc CWT 3.72%
Idexx Labs IDXX 3.32%
Danaher Corp DHR 3.24%
Calgon Carbon CCC 3.23%
Valmont Ind. VMI 2.76%
Urs Corp URS 2.49%
Veolia Envirn. VE 2.40%
Badger Meter BMI 2.31%
Tetra Tech TTEK 2.18%
Lindsay Mfg Co. LNN 1.96%
Emerson Elect. EMR 0.88%
Flowserve Corp FLS 0.88%
3m Co MMM 0.86%
Genl Electric GE 0.85%
Ashland Inc ASH 0.85%
Idex Corp IEX 0.84%
N.A. SZE 0.82%
Siemens Ag Ads SI 0.81%
Roper Indus ROP 0.81%
Itron Inc ITRI 0.80%

While I have no particular opinion as to whether it would be worthwhile to invest in this basket of stocks, I thought it might be a useful starting point for those who believe that this sub-sector has promise.

I will note that I own a position in Companhia de Saneamento Basico (SBS) – one of several foreign utilities that I acquired this decade. My return on SBS has been extremely good, in large part due to the general rise of Brazilian equities due to a burgeoning domestic economy; I don't expect nearly as good a rate of return going forward, but shy of a global recession, I do expect the stock to continue to out-perform substantially its American counter-parts.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.