Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
Watty 56, I know you're trying to help, but you're posting a lot of incorrect information.

If the OP has some earned income and is eligible for any deductable retirements accounts(IRA, 401K, etc) then the RMD can be deposited into one of those to get an offsetting deduction so the net tax effect will be essentially zero.

No, no, no! Since OP is subject to RMD's by definition (s)he cannot contribute to a traditional IRA under any circumstance. Period. One can contribute to employer plans if still working at 70 1/2 (and delay RMD's from that plan), but those contributions must come directly from salary/wages, not external contributions. Some employer plans allow for rollovers in from other retirement accounts, but in no case can an RMD be rolled anywhere. Period.

If they are over 70 and not working that does not help much, but people who are younger and still working can often do this with RMD's from inherited IRA's

Wrong again. RMD's, including those from inherited accounts, cannot be rolled over. Period.

The references are IRS Pubs 575 and 590.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.