No. of Recommendations: 0
Watty56, thanks for the list. It appears, while I was growing up in VA (just a few blocks from Fort Monroe) that I visited quite a number of National Monuments: Of course, one was Fort Monroe (all the time), them Costillo de San Marcos, Castle Clinton, Fort Frederica, Fort Mantza, Fort McHenry (Yeah, Star Spangled Banner), Fort Pulaski, Fort Sumter (here in good old Charleston, SC), Governor's Island, Sonoran Desert (when first going to Phoenix), and the Statute of Liberty.

I'll never forget the upteenth time I viewed the Statute of Liberty with my ex-roommate, who is Japanese. When she saw it, she started crying. It was a very emotional moment for me. We take such things for granted, but those who are not citizens of our country, look at it far differently. Since we saw that together, I have been back several times with my former fiance. Now, I view the Statute far more emotionally than I did prior to the trip with Yoko.

Yoko has a great time at Fort Monroe also. There is a pier there at Old Point where the residents of the area fish and crab. (Daddy caught some seriously large Rock Bass there.) A lovely couple gave Yoko a fishing rod and a crab trap and she had a ball. We stayed at the BOQ at Fort Monroe and the chef there cooked Yoko's catch (she got both fish and crab). She was soooo pleased with herself. In fact, instead of just staying one day, we stayed two, so she could go out again, and I visited childhood friends in Phoebus, Hampton and Virginia Beach. I also took her to Fort McHenry after telling her the story of Francis Scott Key. In the same visit, we visited Governor's Island.

Then we headed South the following year and saw the forts near Savannah and St. Augustine.

My father was a serious ex-Marine and everytime we went traveling, we would visit the historical forts.

Donna
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.