Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Oregon plans to convert an old papermill to an ocean-energy plant.

Interesting to see what energy content estimates of the ocean are.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9087031/
Print the post Back To Top
I can see it now....

The eco terrorist will decide that the disruption of waves is bad for the planet.

The Indians will claim large wave farms disrupt their ability to fish in sacred waters..

The save the owl people will complain that using the old paper mill will make the spotted owls nervous as they will believe logging is going to start up again.

The shorelines protection advocacy group will complain that the power lines coming in over the shoreline will disrupt salmon runs and destroy the eco system.

The Not In My Back Yard Coalition will mobilize with letter writing campaigns, saying the whole thing is going to be an eyesore.

Some entrepreneur will start making and selling “Save the Waves” buttons.

Scientist will start postulating that reducing the height of waves will increase global warming.

The message board writers will begin to say that wave power is such a bad idea, that the big Oil Companies probably came up with the idea.

The far left will say since the Oil companies came up with the idea, it was obviously funded by the Bush Administration to get our minds off the war in Iraq……

The idea is abandoned and we all go back to driving our SUV's…

Cliff.

No. of Recommendations: 0
Its about time someone got around to looking at wave power. It is free energy. The question is is it practical and cost effective to harness that energy. And that probably is mostly a matter of developing the right technology.

Already in NJ we have concerns about shore based wind farms. They might be unsightly. And we like the natural view. Ditto solar panels. NIMBY. Please put it in your back yard and ship me the product.

I have heard that some wave technology is subsurface and might be almost invisible. Hopefully fish will not be damaged and breeding grounds of endangered species will not be affected.

We shall be watching how this goes. It sure looks promising. It certainly should be developed as far as possible.
I can see it now....

The eco terrorist will decide that the disruption of waves is bad for the planet.
--Cliff

Conservation of energy. We will always have to account for it. Whenever you redirect energy from one environment to another there will be impact to those environments. Wave energy undoubtedly will affect shorelines and aquatic ecosystems.

This is one reason I don't argue stopping oil use with global warming. Whatever we replace oil with has the capacity to do just as much damage to the environment. We need to stop using oil, not just because it is more disruptive to the environment than alternatives, but because it is a source of unnecessary harm to people geopolitically--ie, unnecessary death and hardship from exploitation and terrorism. I can easily envision wave energy being as bad for the environment as coal or oil, though I'm sure it is better for our security.

I'd rather see solar. Fossil: bad for the environment. Nuclear: bad for the environment. Wave and vegetable: definitely depleting of the environment, just a question of how much. Solar? It's going to have an impact, but I know there is a lot undesirable disipation of heat that should be collected. Anywhere there's an airconditioner, there's room for solar power. I'm sure there are a lot more niches energy can be collected from, and unnecessary waste from less sustainable energy sources should also be captured where the source can't be replaced--hybrids being the perfect example of this.

Conservation of energy--we just have to be mindful of where the energy is coming from, and to maximize the renewability and ecological and geopolitical sustainability of it.

zfc
No. of Recommendations: 0
Don't know how this works, but I have seen tidal energy models that look interesting. Basically the tide lifts a huge floating weight (think barge) up a ratchetting frame. Then as it decends, it transferrs that energy into a dynamo that converts it to electricity. Pretty cool but with limitations. You might be able to do this on a small scale with waves. Dunno.

nmckay