Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I got really lucky and out-kicked my coverage on this one... my standard MO is to buy a call that has a long target date (well over a year out) and sell or roll it for a modest profit near expiration... I have never exercised one and bought the stock. But what happens if the option is SO far in the money that it is worth 2 to 3 times capital required to exercise the option? Does the capital gain transfer to the stock?

Let's say I bought a January 2021 call for $12 ($1,200 invested) for a stock with a strike price of $115. And let's say that stock is now trading north of $450. The capital required to exercise the option and buy 100 shares is $11,500, but the call is currently trading over $350, so the value of the option is over $35,000. If I exercise the option, what happens to the $32,000+ gain? What happens to the initial $1,200? Do I only need $10,300? Trying to mitigate (or defer) the LT Cap Gains...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.