Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1

A thread a few months ago talked about a Fool's socially inept brother. He sounded a bit like MY brother. Somebody else here suggested Asperger's syndrome, and I've done a bit of reading about it.

I'm thinking my brother has Asperger's syndrome. He's very bright but socially inept. He doesn't seem to understand how to act around people. He used to get obsessively interested in arcane subjects as a kid (like, keeping journals full of tiny handwritten notes on the state of the Soviet military or whatever. Or, the year or so he spent being utterly enamoured with the Volkswagon Rabbit. Weird stuff.) A few other things, too - including a compulsive hand movement thing. In short, several things on the "list" of symptoms for AS.

I'm not sure what good can come of thinking this about him. He's 40 years old. He's in another country. But, my father worries about him. I tend to worry about him, too.

Does anybody else know any adults with AS? There was no such diagnosis until the mid-90's, so I think a LOT of "odd" adults are really AS kids who nobody ever understood, ya know?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.