Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a large long term capital gain (thank you Apple) that I would like to use to pay down my mortgage and HELOC. I know that if I sell it all I will trigger AMT, even splitting it over two years will trigger AMT

Some facts:
I live in California, high taxes
I max out my 401(k)
my company offers a deferred income tax shelter I can use

Is there a calculator that deals with all these variables and gives what are the best amounts of gains to take per year? Is a tax advisor probably better?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.