No. of Recommendations: 3
Way too many variables to pick a specific number or range. I recommend you reframe your question to exclude some variables such as: no mortgage and no rent payment, no car payment, include or exclude retiree healthcare coverage. You included SS but SS doesn't start at 55 so it isn't really relevant. Your pension may be more than enough at 55 to cover the minimum. In my experience working with those that receive government pensions, the basic needs are easily covered for an individual. Heck, air traffic controllers often have six figure pensions with forced retirement at 57.

If I were to assume no mort, rent, or car payment and that I was going to receive a retiree govt healthcare plan, then I would assume the "minimum" (which is very different than your "I could be happy" choice), to be roughly $25k.* If I had to pay for my own healthcare and all my income was taxable as income, then I would probably need an extra $5k to meet basic needs.

*I am further assuming low(ish) property taxes of 1-2% of property value and no McMansion.

What would make me happy in the same situation (and who is happy with the minimum?) would easily be double to triple that.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.