Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Wayne asks:

<<My question is, what other vehicles are out there to defer taxes on pre or post tax income besides the 401K and IRAs we are already taking advantage of. We have a fairly substantial amount of money in taxable accounts that we feel could be doing more for us for the long run.>>

The only other option available to you for tax-deferred growth is an annuity product. If you have a current income tax problem and if you have 15 to 20 years to let the money grow, then an annuity may be appropriate. Myself, I prefer the latitude and freedom offered by a taxable investment wherein I can take advantage of long-term capital gains rates to the greatest possible extent. An annuity can offer some advantages, but ultimately all that growth will be taxed at the ordinary rates in effect at the time it's taken.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.