Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
We all hope for the super-duper-contagious low-fatality-ratio theory to be the right one, as it would suggest an early peak and low final death total.
I have seen no data that would lead me to think that this is a credible scenario.

I tend to agree. The "Oxford theory" seemed tempting but unconvincing.
Until, and except for, this recent study.

The "excess sickness" population does seem to be very large, around 26m in three weeks.
That's not a count--it's calculated by sampling from 2600 clinicians. But that's a big sample.

The data led them to estimate that there were 7m "excess" new US infections of something flu-like
but not influenza in the stretch March 8-14, compared with 7000 officially counted deaths three weeks later.
Dividing A by B is what suggests the low IFR.
The big unknowns is how many of those "excess for 2020" non-influenza influenza-like illnesses were actually Covid-19, and how many excess deaths are being missed in the official counts.

So, their work doesn't mean it's the high-spread rare-severity scenario, but it is consistent with that interpretation.
Strongly suggestive, say.
I figure it would not be unreasonable to shift one's best guess somewhat in that direction.
Even a little good news would be nice.

This is the paper
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.01.20050542v...

From the abstract:
"... we estimate the symptomatic case detection rate of SARS-CoV-2 in the US to be 1/100 to 1/1000.
This corresponds to approximately 10 million presumed symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 patients across the US during the week starting on March 15, 2020.
We emphasize the importance of testing these findings with seroprevalence data"

I would have thought that somebody out there would be doing sample testing (PCR and serum if possible) of some broad population by now, to get an answer.
If the people were selected truly randomly from the population, it wouldn't take that many tests to get a pretty darned good snapshot estimate.
The biggest problem would be the low positive rate, meaning you need a big sample to catch enough for your percentage positive to have any statistical significance.
But...maybe it wouldn't be so low if the positive rate is high. Don't know till you try.
A quick search suggests this has started in Finland, Ohio and Canberra.

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.