Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
We also are not into "nick nacks". Most of our souvenirs are photos (in our cameras). We sometimes get mugs (one of my favorites right now is my Switzerland mug). I have a few caps (baseball style). We bought some sketches in Italy (and later framed them; they're really nice). My wife while traveling around the southwest accumulated a collection of native American pottery (real stuff -we learned how to tell the difference)**. Probably the biggest thing we bought was a kimono in Japan. We tend not to buy statues if the Leaning Tower of Pisa, or snow globes, or whatever. Some folks like that, but it's not our taste. To each his own.

Regarding shoes: if I plan on hiking I will wear my hiking boots. They are the biggest and heaviest footwear I own, so if I have to bring them I wear them. I will then pack my black athletic shoes (no design, just black so they can be casual or formal unless you look really closely). And I pack 1 pair of slippers for the room (hotel, cabin, whatever). That's it. If I'm not doing any hiking, leave the hiking boots and wear the black athletic shoes.

1poorguy

**As an aside, the native Americans never knew what hit them. She is from the Philippines where everything is haggled. They were used to dealing with people from New York, not Manila. We Americans suck at haggling.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.