Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We are certainly living in historic times with almost everyone clueless. I fail to understand why we are not going to have a depression 2.0. It will hurt in a different way, if it happens. Different times. Just becoz the govts around the world are working together in tackling this beast does not mean we will avoid depression. It only means we will not have the exact pain of 1932 when savings were lost suddenly with bank failures.

Much of the developed world's economy has been based on consumer credit and I think that is now going to change in a big way with consumers potentially changing their spending habits in a big manner. To expect that normalcy will reign again with consumers getting back into debt as earlier is unreasonable. We are likely to see a sea change in spending habits with people trying to live withing their means for the next few decades (after which the history shall repeat itself). I feel that those who invested when DOW was in 10-14K range have suffered a permanent loss of some of their capital. DOW at current levels is far more reasonable and a growth of 4% per annum over the next decade from the current levels would be quite reasonable. It is entirely possible that DOW bottoms at 6K and reaches 10-12K in next 10 years. From a 6K level 10K would appear far more impressive than from the current level.

Let us see what happens.

Anurag
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.