No. of Recommendations: 4
We can also see that many TVs manufacturers, particularly higher end (Samsung and LG) are going with their own solution. The engagement on those systems (viewing hours) pales. Will they continue to invest in the platform for minimal return? Starting out miles behind and never progressing in engagement.

To be clear, it's not that I think Roku's competitors have a high likelihood of displacing them. Rather, I think Roku's current revenue, at the rate of $21/user and rising, is too good to be true. And I think it's plausible that other stakeholders (the TV makers that imbed Roku, Netflix and YouTube, etc) would want a piece. Do you have any thoughts on that? Does $21/user seem like a lot to anyone else or is it just me?

That's the key to my skepticism. It's almost too lucrative. I get that they put in a lot of work and years to get to this point, but if there is so much to be gained (and growing), it seems like it might attract more competition. That said, competition risk is the side car. The main problem I have is not understanding how they can be worth what advertisers are currently paying them.

Bear
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.